Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Thread: This thread won't make me popular (and may even get me banned!)

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alfie,

That's an interesting way of looking at things to say the least!

Hmmm.... So are we all to pussy foot around Richard while he can say what he likes? & also bring old battles over from other forums?
    No, not at all. What you decide to do is up to you. All I want is for everyone to get on, and I will not be bullied into changing my mind about Richard, simply because some people don't like him and don't want my plan to allow him back to work. People should know that I have an immovable IRON RESOLVE, as far as that's concerned!

There has to be a very valid reason for removing him, as I will not simply take the easy option of banning Richard, just to satisfy some people's personal agendas, and have a quiet life. I am way too strong-willed for that, and so I will remain focussed on achieving what I set out to do.

Jeez, if I can let bygones be bygones, and forgive and forget, when Richard used to spend virtually his waking life slagging off AoS and me on his forum, then I'm damn sure everyone else here can, too!!!!!!!

I suggest that some people, including you, Alfie, take that on board.

Richard is making a distinct effort to fit in and contribute constructively, if given a chance, whereas it was Andrew who was stirring it and bringing up battles from other forums (or certainly allowing his grudge against RD, based on past events, to adversely affect his contributions here).

Did you not see exactly why things went tits up on this thread, when I left everyone in a good mood before I went to bed last night?

That was caused purely and simply by Andrew's actions. He should have respected the mood of the thread at the time, and left things well alone.

Andrew (Flatpopely) & Simon (SQ****) have both been brought up by Richard in other threads & now Andrew has had a pop back you say it's best he goes!!!!
    What's done is done on other threads. The latter part of this thread was meant to have been reconciliatory and about a new start.

If Andrew had had the best interests of AoS at heart, rather than his own selfish desire to continue his futile battle with Richard, then he would've let it lie. It's as simple as that. He didn't, and mayhem ensued, due to others also taking their opportunity to have a pop - and I will not have it!

Andrew's subsequent apology, both on the forum and in private, is ample proof that he knows he was out of order. And outside of AoS, we won't fall out over it.

WTF!! Simon SQ doesn't even have the right to reply here & nothing was done about Richard having a go there too!!
    For your information, Simon emailed me to ask if his posting rights could be resumed in order to address RD's accusations. I replied saying yes, and have since done that. Ask him yourself. I always try to be fair. Simon, for whatever reason, decided not to bother responding. And indeed, in any case, it is now way too late! So we won't be going there and reopening old wounds.

Now, I'm locking this thread again temporarily until I reply to Tim's excellent post yesterday, once I've had my lunch.

You will have the opportunity to respond to what I've just written after that.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate you taking the time out to comment as it shows, like Alex, how much you value the AoS community

Marco, as a new member here I have no prior knowledge or experience of either Richard or Howard, so have only formulated my opinions since joining in February this year. Now Howard whether intentionally or unintentionally, does seem to have a knack of ticking people off with his numerous link postings ala 'blog' style and eBay rants. I'm sure many of his contributions are well intentioned with a desire of just wanting to contribute, but a cynic may view them as a way of raising his profile, as after all he sells Hi-Fi.
    Yep, I'm sure that there's an element of truth in that, and so will deal the matter accordingly.

So on that note I also agree that having 'Howard's Musings' somewhere would be a good idea in relation to a bit of site housekeeping, as there are often some little gems and it would be a shame if all that kept happened were further 'ignore list' additions.
    Totally agree, and so will move to do this A.S.A.P.

There is no denying that the dynamic has changed lately and I know it says 'Forum' at the door and is open to anyone, but as is frequently and positively commented on, AoS is different because it isn't confrontational like so many other forums, so that in itself attracts and retains a certain type of member, change that status quo and those people are at best likely to be uncomfortable or at worst leave.
    I understand exactly what you're saying and accept that. However, confrontational is not what we're aiming for. I agree that there has been an element of that in the last few days, but that's only as Richard slowly but surely sheds his old baggage and learns to integrate better into our community.

I guess that, in that respect, there was always likely to be a 'storm before the calm', as it were, and I feel that now Richard is getting to know people better, and vice versa, there will be less and less of the confrontational instances you refer to, until they become virtually non-existent. That's the plan, anyway!

If Richard is guilty of anything now, it's of not knowing when NOT to react, let things lie and take the moral high ground. This is a skill he will have to learn if he is to survive not only here, but on any other on-line community he chooses to frequent. I can relate to how difficult it is to do this, when you are a naturally fiery and passionate character and find it difficult to back down when you feel you're being wronged, as I often faced the same dilemma when participating on other forums, before AoS was started.

But I have learned to do it, and when correctly executed, it is a formidable weapon in one's defence armoury. Because the attackers, being left simply to attack, gradually make themselves look more and more ridiculous, and so on-lookers will then very quickly side with the person being continually attacked!

Therefore, Richard must learn to be able to back off and let things like, and crucially, allow the management team to deal with any problems. Unlike on other forums, where the fairness of the moderating is often questionable, I don't think that anyone could justifiably say that about the efforts of the team here.

Anyone being unfairly treated, will always be defended accordingly, so there is no longer any need for Richard to fight all his battles himself, all he need do (and this also applies to anyone else) if he feels that he's being unfairly attacked, is hit the report post button, or PM a member of the team, and I guarantee that the situation will be dealt with tout-suite!

On that note also, if Alex or you, or anyone else has a problem with the way AoS is going at any particular stage, then tell a member of the team about it in private. Don't bottle things up, and allow yourself to become pissed off. As you can see from this thread, we will ALWAYS listen to the concerns of our members, and act upon them when possible. However, we would rather that they were aired in private, and not in public (unless you feel the situation hasn't been handled properly in private), in order for us to deal with any issues people have in the most productive way.

It does seem to me that due to the addition of a few new members, AoS has lost more than it has gained.
    With both Andre and Alex back in the fold, I don't think that's the case. It is testament to how much people value AoS that despite them not always being 100% happy with what happens and perhaps taking a spell out for a while because of that, that they will generally always come back, and it is always touching when this happens.

Rest assured, too, that when someone feels strongly enough to leave, that the management team will always take the reasons for that on board and try and prevent it from happening again in future. Life is a continual learning curve, and so is running a busy forum like AoS, which is populated by people who feel a real connection with it. And we always take that as a great compliment!

You have often championed the fact the AoS belongs to it's members, so maybe if the potential for a black cloud is anticipated in the future, it may be an idea to poll the membership on what they think first? This could possibly achieve two things, firstly allow the populace to feel they are more involved and secondly it could potentially avoid the recent dust ups we have witnessed.
    It's a good idea in theory, Tim, but not in practice. We've tried it before, and unfortunately it simply allows those with an agenda to vote against their 'enemy', rather than what might be considered best for the forum. Therefore any final result would be skewed by that. Furthermore (and I've personally been on the receiving end) it's not a terribly nice experience for the person being voted in or out, especially when they're told that they're not wanted, and so its a rather cruel way of doing things.

I prefer to just try it, go with the flow, and let things evolve organically

Anyway, just wanted to get that off my chest as not all of us enjoy the confrontation robust exchange of views that has featured of late. You do a fantastic (and very challenging) job at keeping folk in line, which can only be applauded and as Martin says 'good people is good people' but when those good people start to leave because of members who have previously been banned, then you do have to wonder?
    Indeed. Hopefully though, things will now calm down, and we can get back to the way things were before all the recent shenanigans, WITH RICHARD as a valued part of this community.

I would therefore ask everyone to play their part in ensuring that AoS remains a friendly place to be (and I will insist that Richard plays his part, too). I can also assure everyone that I will be taking a hard line on anyone who is seen to be aggravating things for the sake of selfishly ramming a point home, and showing more interest in satisfying what's best for them, than what's best for AoS..... The latter must ALWAYS come first.

You have been warned, folks!!

Now, let's get back on track. I would appreciate it that if unless someone has something of an URGENT NATURE that they DESPERATELY want to say, that we PLEASE leave it there on move on, as the last few days have been extremely stressful for those who run this site, so guys, spare a though for us, for a change!

Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm ThinkingOfHorns.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Now, let's get back on track. I would appreciate it that if unless someone has something of an URGENT NATURE that they DESPERATELY want to say, that we PLEASE leave it there on move on, as the last few days have been extremely stressful for those who run this site, so guys, spare a though for us, for a change!

Cheers!

Marco.
    I had written a long response to your previous post, but I'll respect your wishes above & leave it there!

Just one point though, I wasn't trying to bully you into changing your mind! Bulling is not my way, as you well now by now! I just have a problem with injustice & will as you suggest hit the report post button, or PM a member of the team & let the mods mod, if I see something I feel strongly enough about.
    alfie
    Main System: Denon DP-6000 VPI Base/Fidelity Research FR64s/Ortofon SPU Royal GM MKII/Shelter 901/Auditorium 23 SUT/Pure Sound P10/SB Touch or Audio Note CDT & M2Tech Young Dac/BL Audio LP-1/New Audio Frontiers KT66 Legend/Living Voice OBX.
    2nd System: PC/Foobar/E-MU 0404 pci (Modded)/AVI ADM9/Rel Strata II subs.

Hi Alfie,

Thanks for your thoughts. I wasn't accusing you of "bullying", mate. Perish the thought, as I know you too well (and that's not your style), but rather those whom I felt were selfishly putting any issues they had with Richard before the best interests of the forum, and not allowing me to carry out what I'm trying to do - 'nuff said!

I just have a problem with injustice & will as you suggest hit the report post button, or PM a member of the team & let the mods mod, if I see something I feel strongly enough about.
    Trust me, so do I, and so I completely understand. But yes, what you've outlined above is what everyone should do in such circumstances. It's always the most productive way of dealing with things

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Simon.

Marco, apologies for not responding, I actually didn't check back, I just assumed, incorrectly, that it wasn't going to be a positive response. Guess I'm a shit judge of character.

Re the reason i wanted to post anyway- fuck it, what's the point? Richard is as likely to change his opinion of me as I am of him, life's too short.

Alfie, thanks for thinking of me...

I'm Dave.

Sometimes a good old spat clears the air...

This thread seems to have achieved just that. Sort of like a pressure release valve...

Joy to all...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Cheers, guys, and on that note, we'll close this one now. Thanks for all your input

Marco.

P.S Simon, no worries. Please see my reply to you on the Blue Horizon brush thread.
    Main System

Closed Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213