Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: This thread won't make me popular (and may even get me banned!)

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Default This thread won't make me popular (and may even get me banned!)

Ok folks, someone has got to say what we're all thinking...? AoS has gone right off the boil the last few weeks. Sorry if you don't agree, (and I doubt many people will get to read this thread before it gets deleted) but there you go!

Well, of course it goes without saying that all of the following observations are "IMHO" - and please can I make it absolutely clear that whilst there is "mod" in my title, the only thing I moderate is the AoS Facebook and Spotify pages, and nothing to do with the forum apart from the music section, where I've had a non-existent need to do any moderation! These thoughts are mine, and mine alone.

So, where do I start? Well, in the interests of trying to keep this constructive and to quote an old favourite "playing the ball not the man" I shall avoid mentioning names. However I doubt you will need to be Einstein to work it out...

OK, well if you've been banned from every forum in Christendom, and you suddenly get an opportunity to return to a well established one, it would make sense to settle yourself in gently, get to know the natives, and tread carefully, no? Blundering in with an obnoxious attitude and creating conflict at every opportunity would not be the most sensible approach, if it was me. But then, I don't have an agenda, or a product line to promote, do I?

And then we have the "tedious" (I borrowed the word from a fellow forum member with whom I have been discussing these issues - and believe me - there are many... has anyone noticed how many stalwarts have suddenly disappeared off the radar - either completely or partially?) "let's post a load of new threads with links" approach... OK, so some of the subjects may be of interest, but blitzing the forum with attention grabbing headlines dilutes those topics that are of real interest (remember, dear reader - all IMHO... ) and it is easy to slip one in that plays to one's own agenda...

And the straw that will surely break the camel's back (well mine, at any rate) is that now we have endless circular debates (again!) on cables and their virtues (or not) and whether the fact that you or the cables are sprinkled with the dust from an Elf's scrotum make them sound better or not... (apologies for belittling the subject, but trust me, if you've read every post on AoS for the last month or so like I have you too would be at the end of your tether...)

Marco - I appreciate as a guest in your "house" this is very rude and improper of me - however, I don't doubt that "knowing" me as you do, you will appreciate that I have not made this post lightly, and nor is it done with any malice whatsoever. For almost 2 years I have logged on to AoS every day, and on each of those days, felt the desire to get involved with the community, either to offer some guidance if I can (rarely! ) or otherwise join in the fun. The past few weeks, I have not felt the same compulsion.

It could be me. Maybe I'm approaching the menopause... On the other hand, it could be the way the forum has evolved in the past few weeks...

You decide.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Alex,

Nope, it's not rude of you at all, mate, so don't worry about it. We don't gag people here, certainly least of all our regulars, so you're entitled to express any concerns you have.

I'm a little disappointed that you think I'd delete the thread (or even ban you - perish the thought!!) It's not as if we've got a history of not letting people speak their minds!

What do others think about the points Alex has raised? And here I would appreciate it in particular if the "many forum members", whom Alex has been discussing these issues with in private, came forward.

One thing I HATE are people who 'bitch' in private, but don't have the balls, like Alex has, to confront the members of the management team who can do something about the problems they see. I don't like gossips, so speak up, folks!!

I'm a little busy just now, but of course have my own thoughts on the matter, and will comment later

Just one quick point, other than Andre and John (Welder), whom I know about, who are you referring to here:

has anyone noticed how many stalwarts have suddenly disappeared off the radar...
    In the meantime, I'll move this discussion into Critics Corner, where it belongs.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I don't disagree with Alex I'm afraid and now find myself almost sidelined when I now have the time to lurk a bit more. No worries, things change and evolve, but there are fewer threads these days to get my teeth into I find, and I've lost the will to argue..

No doubt things will change again, so I won't go away
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

I think you make some valid points Alex. That said iv'e not been here that long so don't have a complete handle on things as yet.
    I still enjoy reading the odd spat but sometimes it can be tedious when its obvious neither party is going to back down.

I have only had the need to use the ignore function once on this forum which is a shame as its the only time I have used such a beast on any forum I have ever belonged to but it does the job so hey ho.

I think you need a rather large glass of fortified grape and perhaps breakout that Neil Sedaka record that you keep hidden...
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I'm a little disappointed that you think I'd delete the thread (or even ban you - perish the thought!!) It's not as if we've got a history of not letting people speak their minds!
    You have every right to be disappointed, and I apologise for that. Your points are all 100% valid. With hindsight (forgive me, I'm cutting down on the drink, but tonight has been an exception!) I should have raised this privately with you.

But seeing as it is "out there" now:

What do others think about the points Alex has raised?
    Just one quick point, other than Andre and John (Welder), whom I know about, who are you referring to here:
    I don't think it is fair for me to put words in other people's mouths - they now have an opportunity to speak up - or forever hold their peace!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Can't find my piece, it shrivelled up decades ago

Oh, you mean PEACE
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'm only referring to the "stalwarts", Alex, you claim have "disappeared". Obviously if they've disappeared, they're not in a position to speak for themselves. Other than John and Andre, I can't think of any......

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

I've noticed a slow down on the forum of late, dave hit the nail on the hard when he said there was a lack of new threads at the moment, i've not been here all that long so don't know what it was like last summer, personally i put the slowing of the forum down to good weather and holidays, and guess it will pick up again once the weather changes and the kids are back to school.

With regards to Alex's observations about a certain member 'blitzing the forum with threads' containing nothing more than a couple of words and a link, is bang on too, true some of them are interesting, but i don't come to the AoS to chew the fat about something that's in the paper or on the news, unless it is either linked to music or hifi in some way, in my opinion if you've got something to say not music or hifi related, the topic should have some significance to you, and you should explain the link in the thread other wise it's just news.

Finally with regards to members that have disappeared, apart from the 2 guys mentioned earlier in the thread, i haven't seen 'magicarpetride' for a while, i didn't always see eye to eye with him but he was passionate about his hifi and music, which came out in what he posted on the forum. what he came out with sometimes would boil my piss but i always enjoyed reading his posts.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Tom.

If anyone is on the outside looking in on AoS it could sometimes be perceived that it is a cosy little club for the regulars, almost having a pint and a game of dominoes every night. I did lurk for a while before I joined and that was the impression I got.

Whether it is beneficial to the forum or not, there has been some lively characters joined of late and commensurate with that, some lively postings which has spilled a glass or two of beer and scattered the dominoes in the process and maybe that is what Alex is alluding to and noting the absence of just 2 members reinforces that perception methinks.

Yes the forum has livened up lately which is no bad thing in my view. Cables, shmables, a robust discussion about same isn't JUST between the combatants because an awful lot of people read what is written, draw their own conclusions and they might learn something from it along the way. The key to that being successful or otherwise is Marco who in my opinion handles it all very well with an iron fist in a velvet glove and when he does step in it is with reasoned argument, unlike other forums where posts and entire threads get deleted without warning, people drop in and out of favour, cliques get formed and people get banned or just disappear. AoS is a long way off that - thankfully.

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

I really haven't been here long enough to comment on too much of this other than maybe this point, which I completely agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    And then we have the "tedious" ... "let's post a load of new threads with links" approach... OK, so some of the subjects may be of interest, but blitzing the forum with attention grabbing headlines dilutes those topics that are of real interest...
    I do take note of whether one is a trade member or not. I don't much like "a sales pitch at every turn"; however, I realize the importance of trade member input. Though to me, a trade member who actually produces a product, rather than just sells/distributes one, automatically gets more of my attention on appropriate subjects. This is not to say that I feel trade members should only be restricted to "Trade Impressions" or don't have any credible, important and/or viable points to make; because, certainly they do and continue to, especially when posts directly reference them or their products. Perhaps, maybe just the sales angles could be kept in "Trade Impressions". Just my observations...

I'm also too new here to know who's missing; hope I my usual antics haven't contributed to anyone running off.
    Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast