+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New source

Steve
    Being into apple is kinda like being into Naim or Linn, you are trapped withi the company idiology.It just so happens that Apple have good play back facilities.That aside..

You don't have to use your PC /laptop soundcard etc.Everything's best done outboard, outboard hardrive to keep your music on (Safe)..Outboard dac not the one in the PC/Laptop...It all becomes apparent that your only using your machine to run the filing & playback facilities with no real need to upgrade unless your machines a dinosaurus...I for one have been mighty impress with FLAC playback..I'm determined to give this a try, the Apogee DAC is most definatly a good un but god it looks so much like a studio play thing...
    Last edited by Vinyl Grinder; 05-02-2008 at 02:47.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyl Grinder View Post
    Being into apple is kinda like being into Naim or Linn, you are trapped withi the company idiology.It just so happens that Apple have good play back facilities.That aside..
    A lot of folk who don't use Apple on a daily basis often follow this misconception. An Apple computer is compatible with everything, more in fact than an MS based computer, and Apple's are a lot easier to use and more stable and reliable. It's not akin to Naim/Linn or anything like that, it's just a better alternative to MS.

Steve;

Ok, I had problems in that the drivers weren't available (yet), so all I did was run the optical cable between the DAC and the computer - done. The same way in which you'd run a cable from a CD player to a DAC - nothing more.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Great photos and write-up, Rob.

This is something I want to get into in the very near future, so it's interesting reading the various different methods of obtaining music from a computer. I like the idea of your set-up, and indeed what Ashley was describing before (he's gone strangely quiet now...)

I would like to be able to play music DVDs and movies too, so I think I'd go for a media player (something like a Helios) to facilitate that, and also use it for streaming music through my laptop. What I'm looking at now is to incorporate a cinema system into my hi-fi set-up, with a screen and a projector. I think it would be quite something in my room

Steve,

With the sound we were getting yesterday with that valve amp, can you imagine being able to watch the band playing in front of you at the same time?

All I'll need is a popcorn machine and fridge to stock cold beers!

Marco.

P.S Have you recovered from the shockwaves being sent through your gut after playing that Tiesto track?
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

With the sound we were getting yesterday with that valve amp
    Spill the beanz then Marco..Kept me in suspence for a day now

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Andr'e, I'll be writing a review of it soon enough. Sorry mate I can't name it yet. I have my reasons

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Last edited by sastusbulbas; 10-02-2008 at 22:17.

Rob,

This is a great post - you do an excellent job of explaining things! You mention in your post "no moving parts". So does this mean the music files are not on a spinning hard disc? Very intrigued with this whole area.

Phil

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Bishop View Post
    Rob,

This is a great post - you do an excellent job of explaining things! You mention in your post "no moving parts". So does this mean the music files are not on a spinning hard disc? Very intrigued with this whole area.

Phil
    Yes, but the music doesn't stream from the hard drive as such. It's actually buffered into the RAM before reaching the output stage albeit only slightly. Essentially there's no moving parts but without being stored on a solid state drive it will never be completely without moving parts somewhere down the line. Realistically the movement of a hard drive is almost negligible but I suppose it could be factored - and presumably some drives are better then others.

Atacama SE24 stands

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Solid-state hard-drives are getting cheaper,so a good replay system with no moving parts is easily achievable now.Seems to me a good way of removing one variable in the replay chain.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Solid-state hard-drives are getting cheaper,so a good replay system with no moving parts is easily achievable now.Seems to me a good way of removing one variable in the replay chain.
    Once the capacity gets high enough (and cheap enough) on the solid state drives, I'll use one for all the playback and simply back-up to the platter based hard drives I currently use.

Atacama SE24 stands

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast