+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Great Classical Recordings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm afesteringvinylphile.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Biff - the 13th is brilliant but I would class it as difficult music, if quite awesome and terrifying. You may also want to consider his 5th or 10th symphonies and the 1st & 2nd piano concertos.
    Apparently, I was completely wrong, as I forgot I picked this up a while ago. I have no idea whether this is a good performance and or good pressing; but, I'm about to find out. I'm not at all familiar with the USSR Symphony. The vinyl is in excellent condition, I'm familiar with the Angel label and it was only £1, so I believe my thinking at the time was, "why not".

Lyrics are the ramblings of man, sometimes inspired by The Creator, most often, not.
    But music (melodies, harmonies, rhythms), that's God stuff.
    Always was. Always will be.

One of the biggest lies ever told was that only certain kinds of people should listen to certain kinds of music.

(silent) VINYL LP SLIDESHOWS

Quote Originally Posted by WOStantonCS100 View Post
    Apparently, I was completely wrong, as I forgot I picked this up a while ago. I have no idea whether this is a good performance and or good pressing; but, I'm about to find out. I'm not at all familiar with the USSR Symphony. The vinyl is in excellent condition, I'm familiar with the Angel label and it was only £1, so I believe my thinking at the time was, "why not".

Biff- That's a wee treasure you have there. I have it also, along with three of four other Shosty Syms on Melodiya. Did you like it?
    Hear your music, not your speakers

I'm Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Shostakovich - Symphony No. 13, Previn, LSO, EMI [vinyl]

My favourite recording of this work, even better than the later Haitink. Notable for its deep sense of foreboding, emphasised by the very well recorded, menacing bass drum and brilliant soloist.

Great recommendation Martin, The Previn Shostakovich Sym No 13 is a beautiful record and was one of the last EMI analogue recordings engineered by that great duo Christopher Parker & Christopher Bishop. Parker had a close working relationship with Walter Legge and the Philharmonia orchestra and was responsible for a substantial number of the great EMI / Columbia recordings.

I would love to listen to Chris Parkers "Oral History of Recorded Sound" but it seems is only available to members of a licensed UK higher or further education institution.

http://sounds.bl.uk/View.aspx?item=0...8XX-0100V0.xml
    Last edited by BTH K10A; 02-07-2011 at 18:09.

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BTH K10A View Post
    Great recommendation Martin, The Previn Shostakovich Sym No 3 is a beautiful record and was one of the last EMI analogue recordings engineered by that great duo Christopher Parker & Christopher Bishop.
    I also have the 8th and 10th by Previn in the same series. He is a very underrated Shostakovich conductor. The sound on all of them is impressive.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

This is stunning , great music and amazing recording .

These Britten recordings are simply superb

Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    These Britten recordings are simply superb

Hi Chris

I have this and you're right, it sounds very good indeed. Hard work listening to it in one take, though.

I'm gone.

Quite a few classical fans are coming out of the woodwork ... is there interest in a Classical Music section on AOS? I think one would be good.

I'm gone.

Here are 4 of my best sounding classical LPs.
    ... wonderful performances, as well.

Last edited by jandl100; 04-07-2011 at 08:11.

MartinT Guest

Yep - that Shossie 10th is superb, Jerry. I mentioned it just a few posts ago.

As for Symphonie Fantastique, I've always liked the Colin Davis interpretations. This one is good:

I'm gone.

And 4 more with top performance and sound quality ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast