Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where to start?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Piccies fine now
    I think Mark has signposted the most obvious next step
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

I'm InSpace.

Yeah, the ageing Panny is obvious... I knew that all along.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Mike.

speaker positioning is a ball ache on A/V systems, usually the room is the problem, not big enough and with doors in inconvenient places, front speaker placement is a bit of a no brainer i.e. each side of your screen and one just bellow, but you may need to play around with them a bit to get the best sound and i found if i angle the centre speaker upwards the sound seems to come from the centre of the tv rather than the speaker itself.

Subs are a bit tricky but in my room i have it firing at 45 deg across the front speakers, but to be honest much depends on the sub you've got and the room characteristics, but make sure you have enough cable to try the sub in a few locations, and pick the location that sounds best to you.

Now for the rears, most people don't have enough room to have the rear speakers behind them, i don't, but i've found that i get a good effect by having them as far away from my listening position as possible and high up on the walls angled down towards me and pointing slightly behind me, if that makes sense.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    Subs are a bit tricky but in my room i have it firing at 45 deg across the front speakers, but to be honest much depends on the sub you've got and the room characteristics, but make sure you have enough cable to try the sub in a few locations, and pick the location that sounds best to you.
    Ah, yes... notice how I haven't mentioned those?

I know very little about sub's as I've never used one before, and at the moment don't have one. I'm kinda hoping I'll get away without thanks to having three transmission line speakers up front. Time will tell!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Just make sure you set the sub output on any BD or DVD player to 'none' & all speakers to 'large'. The players will then feed the sub output into both left & right front channels
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Ah, yes... notice how I haven't mentioned those?

I know very little about sub's as I've never used one before, and at the moment don't have one. I'm kinda hoping I'll get away without thanks to having three transmission line speakers up front. Time will tell!
    for the real low frequency stuff you'll need a sub, normal speakers just aren't designed to do what a sub does trust me

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

Oh i don't know Mike, have you ever heard PMC transmission lines? Take it from me that even the 6.5" driver floorstanders will happily chuck out 20Hz at a pretty high volume

I know what you are saying though & i'd agree with you entirely given just about any other speakers, but the PMCs are not ordinary speakers by a long chalk
    Bests, Mark

I'm Martin.

I would experiment with dialling out the centre speaker - may be worse or better, personally I prefer it without the centre.

Mark? 6.5'' drivers + small cabs = proper deep bass? Nah, no way. The impression of deep bass, maybe... not physically possible is it? - and they are not true transmission lines are they?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Martin, the floorstanders are true transmission lines & will reproduce 20Hz at quite a reasonable level. The smaller cabs will be good for 35Hz at quite a high level. Unlike a reflex which just damps the driver over a narrow frequency band, a t-line will do this over a few octaves if well designed.

Take it from me that PMC are well designed speakers. If i was going to purchase any modern transmission line speakers then PMC would be top of the very small list
    Bests, Mark

I'm Martin.

Mark, I was maybe being a little pedantic with the 'True' appelation. The theoretical true transmission line loses all of the rear radiation of the cone down an infinite rear 'line'. Real world (as opposed to 'true') Transmission Lines use the output of the line to augment the low bass frequencies. Which is closer to a reflex system it seems to me.

I wasn't at all knocking PMC - I've not heard any of their domestic speakers but I'm aware they have an outstanding reputation.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast