+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Just For Beechy...........

I'm Stewart.

Default Just For Beechy...........

Dusted it off and took some pics Nick - here you go.....

Stewart.

I'm Stewart.

Incidentally the capstan motor is the same motor as is used in the Technics SL 1000 Broadcast Turntable....
    Stewart.

I'm Nick.

Thank you Stewart! Some nice macro shots there!

What do you reckon to it's performance? I know you have some really nice high-end machines against which to compare it... my stable is less thoroughbred though the Nagra and Tandberg aren't too bad I'll write up my observations sometime soon.

Have you had any work done on your machine?
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Nobody.

Anyone ever played with an 'RS1800'?
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 22-06-2011 at 19:13.

I'm Stewart.

Hi Nick;

They are very very good for a domestic machine however - to put it very bluntly - your Nagra IV-S will utterly floor it on performance largely due to it's superior electronics.

The mechanical performance of the Technics is extremely good because of the "Isoloop" transport design but you will find that the noise of the electronics becomes quite intrusive.

I have not had any work done on mine - I have replaced the pinch rollers and serviced the brakes (you will find that the brakes snatch due largely to dirt buildup on the motor drums). The brakes are made from cork and I found that a good clean with IPA did the trick with the snatching - the machine unfortunately does not have dynamic spool braking which is a shame - the best way to stop them from a high speed wind in either direction is to select wind in the opposing direction thus avoiding the brakes just slamming on.

I have a Nagra IV-S TC now and am staggered how good it is even against the mighty Nagra T - a wonder of engineering in terms of performance from a single motor machine....
    Stewart.

I'm Stewart.

By the way - is the capstan motor on your Technics free from rumble or noise of any kind - mine rumbles slightly and I'm going to have to overhaul it I think...

The RS 1800 had outboard electronics and was aimed at the semi-pro market with balanced in and outs - I believe they sound a good deal better.....
    Stewart.

I'm Nick.

Mine's quiet Stewart, and touch wood the brakes are ok too. At the moment the only funded upgrade I'm planning is an IR remote, but I'm very tempted by an EAR electronics upgrade at some point.
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

+ Reply to Thread