+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amp Kits. (Tube or Solid State)

I'm Marc.

Lightbulb Amp Kits. (Tube or Solid State)

Hello..
    went to AV Forum.. and was kindly suggested to come to this forum instead..
    My question is:
    I want to be able to build my own tube/solid state amp to use with a home recording set up.. (Mk II).
    I have some back up amps.. one of which just blew a few fuses.. (Cambridge Audio A4)..
    I replaced the burnt fuses.. and they blew again.. and not knowing how or why..? is really annoying me..
    So I would prefer a kit that can provide a potential to teach me about the whole amp process and hopefully then I'll be able to understand the workings there of..(which will also assist in my career as a budding studio engineer)
    I have seen some kits on ebay... but they look at bit 'plug and play' ..and from China.. (not good parts)
    I would prefer to source the best/better parts myself.. using.. advice and classic examples.. (of which i have no idea)

So any advice help.. nudges in the right direction would really be appreciated..

Cheers.. and Happy Fathers Day.

Marc J Beard.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc J Beard View Post
    Hello..
    went to AV Forum.. and was kindly suggested to come to this forum instead..
    My question is:
    I want to be able to build my own tube/solid state amp to use with a home recording set up.. (Mk II).
    I have some back up amps.. one of which just blew a few fuses.. (Cambridge Audio A4)..
    I replaced the burnt fuses.. and they blew again.. and not knowing how or why..? is really annoying me..
    So I would prefer a kit that can provide a potential to teach me about the whole amp process and hopefully then I'll be able to understand the workings there of..(which will also assist in my career as a budding studio engineer)
    I have seen some kits on ebay... but they look at bit 'plug and play' ..and from China.. (not good parts)
    I would prefer to source the best/better parts myself.. using.. advice and classic examples.. (of which i have no idea)

So any advice help.. nudges in the right direction would really be appreciated..

Cheers.. and Happy Fathers Day.

Marc J Beard.
    Welcome to AOS

Can you pop into the Welcome Section of the forum and say hello, tell us a wee bit about yourself, system, taste in music and system. Thank you in advance.

Regards D S D L

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Marc,

Welcome to AoS and glad you've found your way here. I'm sure we can help, but if you could do as Neil has asked first, that would be very much appreciated

Marco.

P.S I've moved your thread into the DIY room, as that's its optimal home.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Marc.

thanks for moving the post.. kinda new to forums.. but looking fwd to learning as much as possible from being here... and hopefully get an insight to what i need to achieve my audio goals..
    Marc

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi Marc, there are some good kits to be had from here-

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/14

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Hi Marc, there are some good kits to be had from here-

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/catalog/14

Thanks for this..
    My stuff; Tannoy Reveals (passive), 20 meters of Limited Edition high end Cables, Arcam Alpha One Amp (spare as Cambridge Audio A4 blew up), Sony DAT DTC ZE700 (retro!), Cambridge Audio D300 Special Edition CD player, TEAC V 1050 cassette deck (vintage).spares; x2 Warfdale Diamond II, Mondrant-Short MS 902, x2 bose swivel cubes, x2 Celestion Ditton 551's
    Audiophile: Someone for whom the pursuit of audio nirvana is a quest only second to their desire to convert others to a similar obsession

I'm ILOB.

I heard a few of these kits and been pretty impressed
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Rob.

I have built kits and built amps point to point (reading a schematic and soldering each bit to the next without a circuit board) This is the easy part. Trouble shooting and knowing why something does not work is the hard part. Your experience with the blowing fuses is a case in point. It may be a duff power transistor or transformer problem or something completely different.
    Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

+ Reply to Thread