+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some warmth....

I'm paul.

Default I need some warmth....

Hi Guys...I am looking to change my cd player and need to find one that is much warmer sounding, maybe a hybrid, I dont know, this is where some of you hopefully could point me in the right direction with recommendations of players known to be warm and musical.

My current cd spinner is a Esound CD-E5 which is an incredible performer but since upgrading my system I feel it has become maybe a little too revealing so a smidgen of warmth needs to be put back. I have tried pure copper interconnects and speaker cables but without any significant change i`m afraid so hopefully, a new cd player could do the trick....

I'm paul.

Mission PCM 7000 is the smoothest player I'v ever owned, one on ebay now
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

I'm Ross.

From what I've read, the Rega CD players sound very analogue. I repeat, this is not from personal experience.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...n-94720/review

A very good price...

http://www.analogueseduction.net/pro...lack_demsaturn

User opinions...

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=43773

They also have a cheaper version, the Apollo.
    Speakers: Kii THREE
    Headphones: Lumin A1 > Simaudio Moon 600i > Abyss AB-1266

I'm Tom.

I own the Esound E5 spinner and I would not say it is lacking in warmth

Give us a complete list of the rest of your system so we can offer more meaningful advice before you condemn this fine player

I'm paul.

Thumbs up

Hi Frank, as I stated, the E5 is an incredible performer and one of the best cd spinners I have owned. I agree it has a certain ammount of warmth but it is also a very revealing and detailed player, a little bit too much for my system.

Cheers......

I'm andrew.

What amp and speakers are you using?
    Andy.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I need to know this too...

I've just come home from a rowdy school "production" and can guarantee that many CD woes, at least in the past, have often been amps clipping nastily, or reacting badly to the ultra-sonic muck so many playrers put out or un-refined tweeters - metal or cloth, it doesn't matter. I'm not saying ALL problems are elsewhere, but it's amazing how well the brighter early players can sound with a sympathetic system.

Back to the school production - a drum kit played live ain't sweet and "involvingly analogue;" in fact it's bloody rude and can make you jump. I do agree that many cheaper speakers just can't reproduce cymbals properly though and the "generally" gentler presentation of vinyl can mask or tame these excesses.

back to topic, the Rega machines, especially the Saturn (given an hour or so to "warm up"), do sound very "human" but not in the tiniest bit coloured. if your existing player has a good digital output, the Rega DAC is a bit better than the Saturn on its own apparently and will bridge the gap between this and the beautiful and wonderful Valve Isis, which sounds excellent by any standards and irrespective of format IMO.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm paul.

The system in question is a Musical Fidelity A308 pre...Jungson JA-88d power amp and hanging on the end of these are a pair of Nola Viper 1A`s....

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You could try something very simple before forcing yourself to change kit. I seem to remember you going on about sibilance in another thread on here not too long ago.

What i'd suggest you try is putting a 47 ohm 2W resistor directly accross the tweeter terminals. Now while this will only reduce the tweeter output a piffling amount that you probably won't even detect, it will put a damping resistor directly accross the tweeter terminals. Depending on the order of the crossover network used to feed it this can have a pretty dramatic effect on the proceedings & bring it under control.

You are looking at probably £1.50 delivered, well worth a try imo
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Philip.

Did you have a cd player before that was warmer? Was wondering why you think the sound of the system is down to the spinner?

About some soft furnishings in the room?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast