+ Reply to Thread

Thread: stupid question as im no nothing about electronics

Default stupid question as im no nothing about electronics

Hello Folks,Could i use my exposure 6 psu which is 24 volts as psu for a technics 1210 which is 21 volts dc.Please excuse ignorance.

regards mick
    Mick.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

There is an internal regulator inside the Techie that stabilises the voltage to a fairly accurate 21V DC. If you bypass this & your supply isn't regulated at least as well then apart from feeding it too much voltage (which may well damage the Techie) you'll have buggered up the performance

As the internal regulator is 21V DC i'm not 100% sure if 24V is enough headroom to guarantee 21V DC out of the Techie regulator if you leave it in place & feed it from the Exposure PSU. It might be just if it's regulated, however if it is regulated you could probably adjust the output voltage a bit higher to guarantee enough headroom for the Techie regulator to work properly.

It depends on what you want to do at the end of the day Or what you are trying to achieve.
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Cheers Mark,I havent got a clue what you mean.haha.What i was thinking is i have a spare output on my exposure 6 and as the voltage are simular i was just wondering if i could remove the transformer from the technics and run it directly from the exposure psu.
    Mick.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

That's what i was trying to explain. Having thought about i'd say that a 3V overhead should be ok However you'll need to check to find out if the Exposure supply is regulated itself. If it is then you are probably laughing, if it isn't then there will be ripple voltage on the supply & that 24V won't be constant & you won't be laughing

You need to find out about the Exposure supply before trying anything

Another thought that has just occured to me is you might end up with a ground loop (causing hum) as in reality you want to keep supplies totally seperate. If the Exposure supply is only powering the Techie & nothing else you should be ok, if it is powering something else i'd have serious doubts about trying it

If it's something to do with your Pre or Power amps or part of it then i wouldn't go there if i was you because of the above...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Thank you again Mark.Yes the psu supplies a exposure 7 pre.I will leave alone then.
    Mick.

+ Reply to Thread