+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: any one tried the diy flexi table

I'm Steve.

...or to put it another way.
    If I had all the money I'd ever spent on drink...

I'd spend it on drink.

Thankyou

I'm ILOB.

Do you have any pictures how much did it cost to construct slate is not cheap but like the idea of this route
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    You've got the right idea with shelves made of marble or granite but actually you'll get a better performance using Slate. I can expand on my reasoning on that if you wish but it is mainly about granite and marble being crytaline in make up whilst slate is a layered stone that brings CLD (constrained layer damping) properties which are beneficial for audiophiles. I am an advocate of Slatedeck for my turntable and a few months ago replaced a stand shelf where I previously used MDF, followed by a copy of a Russ Andrews Tortlyte shelf with a slate shelf to support my valve amp. The improvement in performance in terms of tightness, detail and sound stage was significant. I think this DIY unit is good news. I've thought of doing it for a long time. With Slate it could be a good performing cost effective rack and you'll have the added bonus of enjoying the fruits of your labour which makes DIY hi-fi so much better than just buying from the dealer.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm InSpace.

Hi John,

Have a look here: http://www.slatedeck.com/
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

Nice reading on the link. It answers some of my earlier questions about what slate type is used. Good Welsh slate is good . Good Scotch slate is good . Westmoreland and Burlington take some beating. All soft slate is poor ........and it comes from all quarrys and is on maybe 60% of roofs in UK. That is why slates are graded (cost). I have some Caithness Slabs that I think may be good for that turntable plinth.

If you take a tungsten tipped masonary drill and go through a Norwegian Rock slate of 8mm it will only go through once then it is blunted. It is the only Roof Slate I know that cannot be bored with the tang of a Slate Knife and I have worked with every slate available in UK.

So keep your eyes open...........you may pick up some stuff for next to nowt!!

I'm ILOB.

Think I wait till the credit crunch is over
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm ILOB.

Quote Originally Posted by lexi View Post

So keep your eyes open...........you may pick up some stuff for next to nowt!!
    I be looking

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12