+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint finish for speaker cabinets

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    Is exactly what i spray my speakers with, just don't forget some kind of Acrylic laquer as the fleck stone is water soluable

Good stuff imo, it just needs a while to dry thoroughly & even then it still feels a little bit tacky. Once laquered though all is well
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Plasti-kote 'Fleckstone' In Aerosol

You spray the surface in the primer, when dry add the Fleck spray, the trick is don't apply two much Fleck or it will build up to thick splodges, you only need a few fine sprays to give yourself the effect, your not out to cover the primer as that is equally the part of the effect as the fleck spray itself.. when done & dry apply the satin laquer to seal.

It is good stuff i've used it a lot as you can see by the picture the manufacturer made a crap job at the original finish..I'll then be re finishing it with this stuff, like they say 'if you want something doing right, do it yourself'..

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Sorry Andr'e, it appears i was suffereing from temporary blindness & i hadn't read everything

Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Nobody.

s'ok a few suffer from it, i'm as guilty as sin

I'm Bernie.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was after. I'll check the local B&Q for it. Do I need to undercoat first or paint it straight on with a clear coat on top?

Mark, I wondered how you got that finish on your speakers. Looks great!
    Bernie.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was after. I'll check the local B&Q for it. Do I need to undercoat first or paint it straight on with a clear coat on top?

Mark, I wondered how you got that finish on your speakers. Looks great!
    Cheers for the complement

What you want to do is decide which colour you are going to use as there are quite a few. I tend to use "Manhattan Mist" which is the darkish grey colour of my speakers, but you could use any other you wish.

What you need to do is find an undercoat that will be approximately the same colour as the main colour of the Fleck Stone. Me i use grey undercoat for obvious reasons.

So a few coats of undercoat, then the Fleck Stone (might be known as "Stone Touch" nowadays) & finally an Acrylic laquer of your choice, i tend to use a satin laquer as i don't want the things too shiny.

Hope that helps
    Bests, Mark

I'm Nobody.

Do I need to undercoat first or paint it straight on with a clear coat on top?

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post

You spray the surface in the primer, when dry add the Fleck spray, the trick is don't apply two much Fleck or it will build up to thick splodges, you only need a few fine sprays to give yourself the effect, your not out to cover the primer as that is equally the part of the effect as the fleck spray itself.. when done & dry apply the satin laquer to seal.
    Masking tape up everything else you don't want coating

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was after. I'll check the local B&Q for it.
    You make me so happy Bernie biggrin.gif I thought i'd check the orange one myself but online &.... Bravo You just saved me £4 a can from buying the stuff on fleabay. However i must check Focus out but their site is down, i guess that is because they are selling everything dirt cheap as they have gone into administration I bought it from them previously, hope they have a decent stock, i'll buy the lot if it's reduced

Only about 500M from me so i'll do that tomorrow
    Bests, Mark

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Worth checking The Range too if you have one near as I believe they stock it, and are usually cheap.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Just checked Alex, nearest store is miles too far for me. Might be handy to someone else though
    Bests, Mark

I'm Bernie.

Just bought some Manhattan Mist from Focus. £7.99 per pressure pack. Lucky I did as when I went to B&Q they didn't have any. Bought some primer and clear for £6.98 each though, which was cheaper than Focus. Thanks for the tip Mark.

I'll let you know how they turn out when I'm done.
    Bernie.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast