+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mika K's system

I'm Mika.

Sometime ago wrote short follow up of my Altec project to Inner World Audio Magazine and now this has been published to the Inner Audio webzine. The article has few pics and also link to the first article. Please check this out at http://www.inner-magazines.com/news/...ias---Part-II/. The webzine is mostly written in english and has some interesting articles from time to time.

Still have not had time to finish the Onken enclosures. It is kind of nice that they work remarkably well already like this but on the other hand it might lead to the situation where finishing just keeps on pending..

I'm Mika.

1 + 1 = 4?

Today my new Shindo preamp arrived, so at the moment have total four Shindo units at the main desk between the speakers.

Because of the improved vinyl playback options I'm replacing the Aurieges L model with bit older Aurieges model that has built-in MM phonopreamp and also bit more robust external power supply in similar green and beautiful housing.

These two different Aurieges models sound very much alike but still there are subtle differencies here and there, coming mostly of the different topology and external bigger power supply. I have also heard many good things about Shindo phonopreamps and based on quick two hour session must say that there might be something there.

Anyway back to listening some music then, eh..

I'm andy.

Oh my word!!!! Mika your system is so achingly beautiful it's beyond words, always been a great fan of the little EL84 tube ever since i started with an WAD KEL84 amp, and that 401 with V and Zu now Transfig.....congrats.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi mate,

Could you please add your first name and where you live to your profile? Cheers!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm andy.

Mika, the more i ogle your amps the more i drool, the bamboo canes really sets off the picture lovely.

Sorted Marco, though i've only recently posted, been a sleeper here for 2yrs, joined my 1st forum (crossvernetwork) after having some work done by Audioorigami, anyway been lurking here more after jumping onto the Tannoy Gold bandwagon(Chatsworth's) and enjoyed reading your exploits with your Tannoy journey .
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Cheers, ma man - much appreciated! I know you've been on TXN. Glad you're enjoying the Tannoy discussions here - wire in and have fun!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Peter.

Mouth watering hi~fi..!
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Mika.

Thanks!

At the moment I'm in the middle of the process of listening three different ways how to route to signal from my vinyl playback system:
    1) Loricraft phonopreamps MC-part
    2) Impress Laboratory SUT to Loricraft phonopreamps MM-part
    3) Impress Laboratory SUT to Shindos MM-input

It is already clear that there are differencies between these three ways. Some might say that they are subtle but imho these small differencies are the meaningful ones giving the sound it's inner meaning or putting all together. Don't know the proper english word for what I mean here, sorry..

Anyway, results will follow here sooner or later when I've listened enough with variety of music and also somehow understood the whole thing myself

I'm Mika.

Finally made up my mind after listening the system for few weeks and decided that option 3) described at previous message is overall the best in my system. Now Loricraft Missing Link has ben sent to its new owner in southern Finland and I hear that it mates extremely well with the vintage oriented Garrard-Lenco-Quad-ESL system used there.

This means that at the moment I have only the Impress Laboratory SUT to Shindos MM-input combo in use for the vinyl. This is a nice sounding system even if have been thinking that someday have also other set with bit more aggressive sound. Narutally this will then lead to other LP spinner or to the plinth that has place for two different arms

Anyway, last week also visited one friend at Raahe, a small town near the city I live. There is most likely the only stacked 3-pair Quad ESL system in Europe. Or at least that is the information he has received from respective Quad service professionals and owners in Europe. I have heard the system several times during the years and now I was asked to write an article of the owner and the system to finnish hifi-journal with the pics. The whole article should come out in next issue

I'm ChrisB.

Eeeek! Now that would be something to hear.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast