+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Mika K's system

I'm Mika.

Thanks.

Have been playing around with the positioning of the Tannoys and they seem to work surprisingly well even far far away from the room boundaries. Would be interesting to try the difference positioning the sepakers closer to the wall. The equipment rack and Altecs are taking the space fully, so perhaps that is not possible as don't want to move those around after getting their places right

One of my favourite finnish jazz artist released his new album lately. Some years back I wrote short reviews of interesting finnish albums to Naim forums. Perhaps might try that also here someday as it is always nice to shre some nice albums to people who most likely haven't heard about those at all..

I'm andy.

Lovely speakers Mika, really like the over all blonde finish and cork like effect of the baffle.

Yes, be interested in your reviews of Scandinavian jazz astists, went to the Fife Jazz Festival and saw some good scandic jazzers there.

P.S. check PM, secret to tell.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Mika.

Yes in Scandinavia the jazz has been in a hot spot some years and you can really tell this from the quality of some young talents. However it's not too modern, so most of the artists have huge respect to the tradition and when listening you can really tell. Really impressive stuff there to enjoy. The old posts I've written to Naim forum can be found from http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayF...66878605822057, so perhaps you start there

And the front baffle of Tannoys really is cork, so not only a effect there Checked also PM's, nice secret you have there. I'll try to keep it and will provide some thoughts this evening the latest..

I'm gordan.

mika, sorry i'm a newcomer here and i can't find info on how you drive your altecs. is it just a shindo EL84 amp or you have another amp for bass.

i'm asking cause i'm also interested in this kind of onken-derived cab for altecs however afaik hiraga and others from paris horn mafia all drove it with SS amps for best results (in fact hiraga 20 or 30 amps).
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Mika.

I'm having custom made passive XO so using only one amp at the time. Sometimes I use my Shindo Montille EL84 (2x13W push-pull) and sometimes my other am, which is Audio Zone AMP-1 (2x50W chip amp).

The Altecs are quite efficient, so both amps can drive them way too loud if necessary. However they both have they pros and cons, so I'm bit undecided with this matter. Even haven't tried any, I'm pretty sure Hiragas amps even the monster one are suitable for Altecs. However have tried some other SS amps and think that with Altecs are quite demanding speakers in that sense, so perhaps I have to disagree with the french mafia at least a bit..

I'm gordan.

Quote Originally Posted by Mika K View Post
    I'm having custom made passive XO so using only one amp at the time. Sometimes I use my Shindo Montille EL84 (2x13W push-pull) and sometimes my other am, which is Audio Zone AMP-1 (2x50W chip amp).

The Altecs are quite efficient, so both amps can drive them way too loud if necessary. However they both have they pros and cons, so I'm bit undecided with this matter. Even haven't tried any, I'm pretty sure Hiragas amps even the monster one are suitable for Altecs. However have tried some other SS amps and think that with Altecs are quite demanding speakers in that sense, so perhaps I have to disagree with the french mafia at least a bit..
    thanks, my experience with onkens is limited, just listened to a few semi successful boxes. there was lots of hiraga writings in french on subject of onken crossovers and onken aplification but afaik his advice was always low power class A (in fact hiraga 20).

anyway, congratulation for the most interesting system there. is your crossover a proprietary design or there's a schematic somewhere?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

I'm Mika.

Thanks for the compliment.

The XOs are made by Werner Jagusch from Germany who is also the man behind the Jabo horns. The proprietary design for the XO is his own I believe and my units have some additional customization for the crossover frequency and also for possibility to use 8/16ohm drivers.

I'm Mika.

Thought that will put this shot from last night also here as it seems to quite well sum up the joy in our home when listening music and doing stuff with the kids at the same time. Like drawing something with that Fisher-Price thingie and listening some progressive rock..

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Great photo!
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

MartinT Guest

You have competition, Alex!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast