+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Mika K's system

I'm Mika.

Thanks. Perhaps you should come to visit to the northern playground here in Finland sometimes

Forgot to mention yesterday that also acquired a nice cartridge from a friend - Dynavector XX-1 with some low hours. I think being high output design it will be nice match to my Techy and it's internal SH-10U phonostage. Have been checking Dynavectors for ages and it seems this will be my first real encounter with one in my own system.

Will still have to figure out what to do with the tonearm section as the SME III is not one of my favorites have to admit and atleast by paper it is not a very good match for the Dynavector..

MartinT Guest

I used to run a Dynavector 20A2 in an SME III, but agree that it is not the best match. A Jelco 750D would be a good entry level, although a nice used Fidelity Research would be fab

I'm Peter.

Glad your getting/enjoying a hot summer season, jealous.....!!!!
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Xavier.

You have the most insane system, brother! And quite a collection of good music from the looks of things. Well done.

I'm Mika.

Thanks! I guess..

I'm andy.

Mika,

I am intrigued to what kind of sound emerges from them big horn,big bass and big cabs, i guess American west coast maybe,
    you know...wide open 'in yer face' from the horn projection,loud and brash from that 15'incher and with ''attitude'',
    imagine dude with Ray Ban's, Halley D. thundering away into the panoramic desert twilight, magnificient.
    Frank...made me do it.

I'm Mika.

Andy, you might be fairly close to reality.

However the sound is not so big and bold that most might expect and that might be more because of the system overall. I guess to fully unleash the potential of the speakers would need larger and acoustically better room and use some serious amplification. The drive units are designed to PA use after all..

I'm Mika.

Cable guy

During the last week have been testing some interconnects. Had some Zu and Analysis Plus interconnects loan from a friend with my mixed cable dressing from Chord and Isoda. Was not very impressed so continued the search.

Next stop was to have a home demo for the three pairs of Tellurium Q Blacks. These cables were really something and had huge impact to the sound, the dynamics, openness and resolution was improved clearly without any drawbacks at the prat section. For some reason especially the analogue side of my system seemed to have a huge improvement. However as the cables were quite costly decided still to investigate some other choices despite of the love

By the recommendation of a friend I found a german handler manufacturing interconnect from vintage NOS Western Electric cable and decent RCA plugs. Could get 3 pairs with the price of one TQ interconnects so took a risk and ordered the cables.

After some break-in can say that these cables are not bad at all. The midrange is wonderfully stuctured and they're almost every way better than my old ones but are still missing some qualities I loved using the TQ interconnects. The bass section is bit boomy and would need some more resolution as well as the highs lack the sparkle I know should be there.

So staying for WE interconnects for a while but most likely in future will still try some other interconnect. At least the Auditorium 23 ones are high on my shortlist if do not take the easy way out and go for TQs. In the meantime will have some other interesting things to try out I think..

I'm Mika.

I accidentally speakers..

..but just because had suitable stands already at my possession. Atleast that's my explanation to Mrs when she'll notice coming home from the evening shift

The speakers are Tannoy Dovers with model 2558 10" DC drivers. They have some marks and scuffs in it with few corners badly damaged. The speakers were not dirty cheap but technically they are mint and sound quite nice indeed. The sealed cabinet holds the bottom end in good grip and especially when listening a bit closer and bit off-axis the balance is surprisingly good despite of the small familiar Tannoy "honk". These will be nice 2nd speakers for my set.

Back in the days I owned larger Tannoy Turberrys with bit modern 10" DC driver for several years. Sold them when decided fully to change my system for some stupid reason. Sometimes I wonder why I did even sell those as have been doing now for some time..

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Nice find Mika, the one pictured looks very nice indeed

Enjoy, as I'm sure you no doubt will...
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast