+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cambridge Audio R40-2 speakers: Observations & specifications

I'm Howard.

Default Cambridge Audio R40-2 speakers: Observations & specifications

Shortly after starting Subjective Audio in 1976 I came across my first pair of Cambridge audio speakers. A not unhappy experience. I made some notes at the time. Thus what follows here is a combination of facts (manufacturer’s specifications) plus my subjective impressions derived from deciphering my notes. And after that, memories of the experiences.

Specifications:
    • Dimensions: 31” (h) x 13” (w) x 13” (d0
    • Weight: circa 52 lbs
    • Type: transmission Line
    • Drive units: 13” x 9” (EMI) bass + 5” midrange + 2” tweeter (make unknown to me)
    • Crossover points: 400Hz and 3kHz
    • Impedance: 8 ohms
    • Finish. Teak, Walnut, Rosewood and special order white
    • RRP in 1976: £185 inc vat

Continues via this link > http://not-boring-honestly.blogspot....d-to-know.html
    Well, hello.

I'm gone.

Ah - I recall the first Cambridge speakers in that line ... with plastic vertical slat grilles. (The later cloth fronted versions were a travesty, imho).

A mate of mine had the original R50 - a big transmission line that could really pump it out. IIRC they were criticised at the time for having a "car audio" midrange driver? Sounded damn good to me, though. But I was young and impressionable then.

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Ah - I recall the first Cambridge speakers in that line ... with plastic vertical slat grilles. (The later cloth fronted versions were a travesty, imho).

A mate of mine had the original R50 - a big transmission line that could really pump it out. IIRC they were criticised at the time for having a "car audio" midrange driver? Sounded damn good to me, though. But I was young and impressionable then.
    R50 had a KEF B110 as a midrange unit, hardly a "car audio" unit.
    Spendorman

I'm gone.

Aha! - OK - so that's why they sounded pretty decent then.

I recall that my R50 owning friend loved Kraftwerk's Autobahn - it sounded great on his system!

I'm Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post
    Aha! - OK - so that's why they sounded pretty decent then.

I recall that my R50 owning friend loved Kraftwerk's Autobahn - it sounded great on his system!

I suppose that one might call the R50 a better sorted KEF Concerto, B139, B110, T27 + Coles 4001.
    Spendorman

+ Reply to Thread