+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garrard 401/Jelco 750D/AT95HE - Heaven!!!

I'm John.

Default Garrard 401/Jelco 750D/AT95HE - Heaven!!!

Hi folks!

Thanks to Duo-phonic got a replacement for me original SA-750D arm which had an armtube which was slightly off centre. Thankfully the new one is perfect.

Finally got it all set up and aligned properly yesterday afternoon and I have to say I am stunned how good it all sounds, not least because the AT95HE is a budget cartridge. It's really shockingly good for the price - It's tracked EVERYthing I've thrown at it so far. Female voices? Tried some Kate Bush - No problem! Massed orchestral crecendos? Mercury's 1812 played with no problem at all - not even a hint of strain or mistracking. Here's yer canon fire - no problem! Got anything else to sink my stylus into?! Rock - Bowie, Black Sabbath and Queen just rock out as they should. Each intrument easy to follow - no muddle. Orchestral, vocal AND rock?! The Moody Blues sounded sublime - in fact I played it through twice in a row I was so taken by the performance. Very natural (but not boring or clinical) sound. A real sense of unfettered power behind the performances (undoubtedly due to the idler drive). Extreme toe-tapping musicality.

Whilst I've never owned a mega high-end cartridge (and to be honest probably never will short of winning the lottery or discovering a rich relative!) I have had a Goldring G1042 (the most over-rated cartridge of all time in my humble opinion - never could get used to that caustic treble!), and a Denon 103R - which I loved - though I suspect it wasn't giving of its best as it was used in an Audio Origami fettled RB250 at the time, and I really don't think the Rega arms are ideal for this cartridge no matter how well modded they are **

The humble AT95HE has had me enjoying music from LP again far more than I did with those previous two cartridges. I used to find my attention wondering with the Goldring cartridge, and I'd inwardly tense towards the end of an LP and the dreaded IGD! (yes both were aligned properly too). The HE stylus on the AT95E just seems to sail through it with no problems at all. I was even listening to LPs with my headphones last night AND enjoying them from start to finish, something I've never done in the past. I just can't fault it - perhaps it lacks the 9th degree of ultimate detail, but it's just such good fun to listen to. That hyper-eliptical stylus really tracks nicely too. It has me wondering just how good it could sound with the Shibata LP Gear stylus The AT95HE seems to have a particularly good synergy with the Jelco arm.

VERY pleased I went for the Jelco and not another Rega - really is a superb tonearm and I'm extremely happy with it. It compliments the looks of the 401 and the cherry vineered plinth too. I've owned several Garrards in the past, and if I had a criticism of them it would be - as others have noted - that they can sound a little 'dark' and not quite so hot in the treble regions as they are in the mids and the bass (oh that lovely bass!!!). That being the case I decided not to use the fluid damping in the SA-750D arm as I thought it might accentuate that Garrard characteristic, and run the risk of 'over-damping' the sound. Seems to have been a good choice the Jelco and 401 seem like they were made for one another

So, I'm a very VERY happy chappy indeed - I've finally got a turntable system I am genuinely proud of! Once Image Shack is working again I'll post some pics of it in action.

- John

** That wasn't a slur on Audio Origami by the way who did an absolutely superb job with my Rega arm - I just don't think it was an ideal match for the 103R. J7 is a legend and an extremely helpful chap.
    Last edited by JohnM; 28-05-2011 at 18:53.

I'm Andrew.

just had a read of your post mate, this put a smile on my face , its nice when you get your system sorted!!
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi John,

VERY pleased I went for the Jelco and not another Rega - really is a superb tonearm and I'm extremely happy with it. It compliments the looks of the 401 and the cherry vineered plinth too.
    I've just one thing to say.......

I'm pleased for ya, though - all's well that ends well!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm John.

I knoowwww I knowwww! Image shite appears to be down though

Rest assured I'll have pics up as soon as possible.

Cheers - very happy with it indeed

- J

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    just had a read of your post mate, this put a smile on my face , its nice when you get your system sorted!!
    Cheers - yep often you end up happy with an upgrade but there's usually something that you feel could be better (at least that's usually what happens with me) but I really am chuffed with how its sounding.

Will be hitting garage sales and charity shops for my vinyl fix with a vengeance now

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

Whilst I've never owned a mega high-end cartridge (and to be honest probably never will short of winning the lottery or discovering a rich relative!) I have had a Goldring G1042 (the most over-rated cartridge of all time in my humble opinion - never could get used to that caustic treble!),
    The humble AT95HE has had me enjoying music from LP again far more than I did with those previous two cartridges. I used to find my attention wondering, particularly with the Goldring cartridge, and I'd inwardly tense towards the end of an LP and the dreaded IGD! (yes both were aligned properly too). The HE stylus on the AT95E just seems to sail through it with no problems at all.
    John. Having used the earlier AT95 as a long term stop gap some years ago I concur it is great value and surprisingly able. However it is rather unrefined when compared to better cartridges. I replaced it with a 1042 which I found to be a revelation in comparison. This realy is a good cartridge in the right context. It was used with a Linn Axis and Basic+ arm to which it was very well suited. I did not suffer from harsh treble or IGD. Frankly it was an excellent tracker. I wonder if recent production is as good. Also when I purchased it the price was £90. At its current price maybe it does not meet expectations so well.

I'm John.

When I purchased the 1042 it was £200, and that was about 6 years back now I'd guess. I agree it was good at tracking, but that strident treble seemed - in my setup(s) at least - to accentuate any groove damage that had been done in the past by other users/carts particularly on the inner grooves. Perhaps if I'd had nothing but perfect condition vinyl I wouldn't have noticed so much? As it is both the 103R and the AT95HE made music far more enjoyable to me across a wide variety of different quality vinyl.

I only used the 1042 in my modified Rega arm, so perhaps I am not being entirely fair to the Goldring. Perhaps it would have sounded better in my current Jelco arm.

I'm very familiar with how the AT95E sounds with the stock stylus - a lot of fun, but a tad 'plasticy' sounding at times. Good with Rock but not so hot on classical. The HE stylus really has improved it immensely - it really shouldn't sound this good!!!

I can see myself staying with it to be honest just to see what can be squeezed out of it with the LP Gear Shibata stylus. It's also nice knowing that when time comes to replace the stylus it won't cost an arm & a leg. There's also something nice and subversive about using a cart that many audiophiles would turn their noses up at too due to the cheap nature of the cart

Listening to a Decca pressing of Solti conducting Bartok's Mandarin suite as I type this, and I'm having a hard time believing it's the AT95 producing these fantastic sounds

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

John , are you out of your mind , using such a cheapskate cart ! I mean i wouldn't dream of using myself, oh balls i do use one , it is good ! Enjoy ,
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Many thanks, a modern cartridge/stylus combo which should show a Goldring G800 a clean pair of heels

The 1042 worked well in a Planar 3/RB300 and I suspect having the arm appear slightly tail down at the rear may have helped this. Having the arm slightly up may have emphasised that "over-etched" treble I heard with the 1042 in other decks.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Many thanks, a modern cartridge/stylus combo which should show a Goldring G800 a clean pair of heels
    Erm...not the ones I've listened to (save the top Nagaokas, costing plenty!)

It depends whether you can put up with the over-emphasised treble and thin tone of most modern cartridges - count me out!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast