+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Balanced Mains - first impressions very favourable

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by jantheman View Post
    Do you have a DVM Steve...I would be interested to see the difference in voltage between the inpuit and output......
    Hi Ray,
    I do have a DVM but I installed the BMS using an analogue VM. I did not detect any difference between the input voltage from the mains going into the transformer and the output voltage at the wall sockets measured live - neutral, live- earth (50%) and neutral - earth (50%). The BMS transformer is in the loft - next time I have cause to go up I'll put a DVM across the input terminals and then at the wall sockets and let you know but going by the AVM readings if there is a difference it will be negligible.

Steve
    Always a little further

I'm inthescottishmafia.

It will drop a little depending on the load.

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    It will drop a little depending on the load.
    The opposite is true in my case...V/OUT is 4.7% higher than V/IN.....measured with no load.
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Glen.

With balanced power, difference between input and output tells you nothing. At no load, the voltage at the secondary will always be slightly higher than the primary. Exactly how much will vary some from one transformer to the next.

What matters with balanced power is that the voltage between the center tap and ends of the secondary winding be as identical as possible. This is achieved by the transformer manufacturer getting the center tap as close as possible to the center of the secondary winding. The smaller the difference in voltage between the two halves, the better the common-mode noise rejection value, and vice versa.
    Last edited by Glen B; 24-05-2011 at 11:03.
    Main system: Denon DP-59L TT with RCA sockets upgrade; Audio-Technica AT33EV; Marantz Reference SA-11S2 SACD player; Classé CP-50 with Furutech IEC power inlet upgrade; Classé DR-10 with Furutech IEC power inlet/WBT post upgrades; Classé CA-300 with Furutech IEC power inlet/WBT post upgrades; Classé RC-1; PSB Stratus Gold i speakers; DIY 3-way balanced AC mains supply; Acoustic Zen & NeoTech cables; Oyaide & Furutech power connectors; HiFi Tuning Supreme fuses; 20A dedicated AC line.

I'm invisible.

Accumulation of tolerances.............

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm inthescottishmafia.

The opposite is true in my case...V/OUT is 4.7% higher than V/IN.....measured with no load.
    Aye, but put some load on it and watch V/out be less than with no load.

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    Aye, but put some load on it and watch V/out be less than with no load.
    I agree...but....look at it from this point of view......
    Measuring the O/P of the balanced transformer........
    With no load I get a reading of 259V...outside the accepted tolerance for mains in the UK. The spec for UK voltage is now 230V +10v -6v. Fudged to harmonise with the rest of Europe. Just a note..my mains tends to run quite high, as I write its at 247V.
    Looking at this then the max 'in tolerance' voltage should be 253V. So..I'm +6V on this.
    For every 100W I plug in I get *about* a 1V reduction in the voltage out.
    So, I'm going to have to have a *constant* power draw of some 5/600W in order just to stay within the current accepted tolerance.
    There are 1 or 2 items of my hifi gear that I dont switch off but they dont even add up to 100W so they would be running well outside of the tolerance limit for UK voltage.
    Is this voltage damaging to said kit, no one will say, least of all the designers...........

Main System :

Ray.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

What's the VA rating of the balanced transformer Ray?

I have a cunning plan
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Malenfant View Post
    What's the VA rating of the balanced transformer Ray?

I have a cunning plan
    1500VA....and dont say a Variac..cos I already have one........

Main System :

Ray.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

1500VA....and dont say a Variac..cos I already have one........
    No, you just need a 50VA 6V transformer me old fruit!

I made this diagram to show how i think the VPhase unit works, in your case you'd need a 50VA 6V transformer to step the mains voltage down slightly for safetys sake

VPhase.jpg
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast