+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balanced Power Supply problems - any ideas?

I'm Stephen.

Default Balanced Power Supply problems - any ideas?

My new balanced power supply arrived this one(http://www.airlinktransformers.com/t...wer-supply.asp) and is all connected up.

The problem is it keeps tripping the RCD (Niglon 32/30) in the consumer unit. I have this on a dedicated ring for just the hifi. If just the supply to the BPS is connected no problem but when the load is connected to the BPS the RCD trips (with all wall sockets empty). However, if I disconnect the earth wire on the load side then all is fine and get full power to my hifi sockets. I have temporarily connected the earth tag on my mains distribution block (Merlin) to ground to ensure that there is an earth point (I did not have this connected at the same time as having the load earth wire connected in the BPS).

Any ideas how I can keep the BPS wired correctly without the RCD tripping?

Steve
    Always a little further

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Let me see if i have this straight When the balanced transformer is connected & nothing is connected to it's output all is well However, as soon as you connect your wall sockets to the transformer output (even if nothing is plugged into the wall sockets) then the RCD trips?

Is that right?
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Stephen.

Hi Mark - no not quite. Even with nothing connected to the sockets if I connect the output side earth wire inside the BPS then the RCD trips. If I do not connect the output side earth wire inside the BPS then all is fine and I get power to the sockets and can run the HiFi - it seems to be a problem with the output side earth wire. Maybe its the way the earthing is wired in the sockets I dont know - very strange.
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm John.

Is your dedicated mains earth connected to the grid or a separate earth stake?
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    Hi Mark - no not quite. Even with nothing connected to the sockets if I connect the output side earth wire inside the BPS then the RCD trips. If I do not connect the output side earth wire inside the BPS then all is fine and I get power to the sockets and can run the HiFi - it seems to be a problem with the output side earth wire. Maybe its the way the earthing is wired in the sockets I dont know - very strange.
    Steve
    Getting there... Now if you disconnect anything connected to the secondary of the transformer & have the secondary earth connected to mains earth does the RCD trip then?

It sounds like you have some kind of problem with the wiring that connects to the transformer output?
    Bests, Mark

I'm Stephen.

Yes.
    I've found that if I disconnect the 2 earth leads going into and coming out of the first mains socket on the ring then the RCD doesnt not trip - sounds like a problem with the wiring after this socket - its a brand new mains installed by a qualified electrician.
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Is your dedicated mains earth connected to the grid or a separate earth stake?
    To the grid - is that the problem?
    Steve
    Always a little further

Oh dear, you should have let an amateur do it

I have a feeling that for some reason you have some kind of circuit between Earth & Neutral which is forcing current to flow to Earth. Test it with a multimeter & see if you have one that is

This wouldn't be too much of a problem with standard mains as Earth & Neutral are tied back at the substation, but because it's now balanced it's messing it right up...
    Bests, Mark

I'm Stephen.

Hi Mark I think that's exactly what's happening - just tested the wires going into the back of the second (last socket) all very strange.
    Firstly, both cables are live! I dont understand that at I thought one would be coming in (live) and one going back to the consumer unit (only live when other cable was connected to it in socket)
    Secondly there is a connection on my multimeter between earth and neutral on both cables.
    This is bloody odd.

Steve
    Always a little further

Ohhh, it's not earth leakage that is causing the RCD to trip, it's shorting the secondary & drawing too much current

You need to get that wiring sorted, by an amateur going on your previous experiences
    Bests, Mark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast