+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SteveTheShadow's system

I'm Steve.

Default SteveTheShadow's system

OK,

Some of you will know my system, but for those that don't here is is.
    It consists of a DIY, Jack Elliano inspired, single - ended, Ultrapath, DRD amplifier. It uses TJ Meshplate PX25s, driven by a pair of NOS General Electric 7044 twin triodes.

Below is a closeup of the amp itself.

The PX25 amp is driven by a preamp based on a 6336A twin triode regulator tube. It is an ugly looking thing that can just about be seen in the left hand compartment of the equipment table.

The speakers are a DIY open-baffle design made out of the cabinet of an old radiogram. Bass and lower midrange is taken care of by a 12 inch Goodmans Axiom 401 and the upper mids and HF arrives at the ears courtesy of a Fostex FE108EZ wide range driver.

Low bass is handled by a pair of active subwoofers positioned behind each baffle and radiating in phase with the rear baffle radiation.

Sources are a Logitech SB3, with upgraded PSU and a Sony CD player. Both of these feed a Beresford DAC, running at 13.5V from a Maplin SMPS power supply. This acts as a digital switching centre for the system.

Steve

I'm steve.

very impressive steve..

hope its all coming to Owston..?

i would guess a lot on this site would be interested in your eary days of high spending.... and how you got to where you are.. your website is an interesting read too..

i'm sure us SE triode users are thought of as a little eccentric..
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

i would guess a lot on this site would be interested in your eary days of high spending.... and how you got to where you are.. your website is an interesting read too..
    Most definitely! A dedicated thread on the subject posted in the Blank Canvas would be great

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    very impressive steve..

hope its all coming to Owston..?

i'm sure us SE triode users are thought of as a little eccentric..
    Hi Steve
    Yes, all the gear will be coming to Owston. It all sounds very different to the system I had there last time. I reckon folk will be quite surprised at how good it all sounds together.

We could try the Globe PX25 v ST shape PX25 v TJ Meshplate comparison on the Sunday, with a bigger audience, if you are prepared to do the changing over of the tubes and don't mind transporting them. I'm too scared to even handle those globes (not that you'd allow me to anyway) It should be even better than at your place now that I have got the preamp hum sorted out, and it ought to prove how good those old British valves really are.

Marco

I'll see if I can come up with the story on the other thread over the next couple of weeks.
    I'm a tad busy with school at the moment.

Steve.
    Last edited by SteveTheShadow; 29-09-2008 at 16:29.

I'm InSpace.

Yeah!... Loving it!

More DIY pleeeease!...
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveTheShadow View Post
    Hi Steve
    Yes, all the gear will be coming to Owston. It all sounds very different to the system I had there last time. I reckon folk will be quite surprised at how good it all sounds together.

We could try the Globe PX25 v ST shape PX25 v TJ Meshplate comparison on the Sunday, with a bigger audience, if you are prepared to do the changing over of the tubes and don't mind transporting them. I'm too scared to even handle those globes (not that you'd allow me to anyway) It should be even better than at your place now that I have got the preamp hum sorted out, and it ought to prove how good those old British valves really are.

Marco

I'll see if I can come up with the story on the other thread over the next couple of weeks.
    I'm a tad busy with school at the moment.

Steve.
    px25's..I do worry about transporting them.. and breaking them when i turn over in bed... i dare not leave them in the car...

my px4 had brand new coupling caps in when you came over.. that has got much better with a few hours on them so it should be a good...
    i was wondering about doing a DRD to the 2P amp.. see if i have time..

i don't know if its a good thing to prove how good some of the british valves are... they are not being made you know...
    anyway.. no one will believe us.. hi fi sounds crap without box colourations... and lots of feedback... and... I better stop there...

cheers steve
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm Steve.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Marco

That would be great, Steve. I think our members would really enjoy reading it

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread