+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dust - Best way to clean internally

I'm Josie.

Default Dust - Best way to clean internally

Hi.

Can anyone give me some information on how to clean dust from the internals of my cd player?

Cheers
    Joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Mike.

A compressed air gun or you can buy aerosol air cans for cleaning cameras etc.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Josie.

ah, great. Thanks, yeah I did think about the aerosols but thought they might not be powerful enough but I will try... Many thanks
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

"Put your lips together and blow"... through a free straw from McDonalds if you like. If theres still more then use a small paintbrush, then blow.

Just make sure it's unplugged when you open it up.

Personally i find that air or compressed air is not as good as using a brush and yet costs tens of times more and has to be replaced whereas the small brush will cost about £1 and last a lifetime. Not exactly environmentally friendly either to make, package and then dispose of a canister of compressed air when you can simply brush the dust off and blow it away yourself.

I might not advise it for a tiny swiss watch mechanism, but for a CD player, there's nothing delicate in there.

I'm Mark.

These are good:

http://www.computercleaningproducts....products_id=60

Not sure if that's a good price or not but they where at the top of google

Also useful for getting the fluff and crisps etc from between car seats and trims etc where normal size hoover attachments dont reach.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Grant View Post
    Interesting... might be useful for a DIY RCM.

I use the largest version of >these< for removing dust.
    Very effective and very controllable.
    Analogue: Technics SL1210 M5G, AN Arm One/II, Blue Angel Mantis MC
    Amps: Devialet 200
    Speakers: Usher Mini 2 Dancer DMD
    Cables: Supra, Mark Grant, Reference Fidelity
    DIY System Audiosector Gainclone, Salas DCB1, AudioSector MC Phono stage

A cheap soft paint brush I promise is the best value.. the air things are really for getting rid of dust when you can't take things appart, like a keyboard (don't know why they show a camera on the website for the link above - it just looks so cumbersom compared a cheap puff-type lens blower thing)

You can fully dsimantle the CD player, blow out the loose dust, brush out the harder to get dust and then blow that out too.

I bet you already have a used paint brush that's small and soft enough sitting in your box of tools - quicker to get that out than even thinking about using anything else, let alone going out an buying something.

Buying something like the hoover or blow-rocket is just an excuse to buy yet another gadget! It's going to clutter up your life for the sake of about 3 uses you get out of it before putting it away and never touching it again..

I'm Alex.

I agree with soft paint brush, but have a vacuum cleaner nozzle nearby to pull away the dust.
    Spendorman

Quote Originally Posted by spendorman View Post
    I agree with soft paint brush, but have a vacuum cleaner nozzle nearby to pull away the dust.
    I normally blow it into the bathroom sink cos I like to see how much was actually in there! Amazing how much dust does actually accumulate over 10 or 20 years...

+ Reply to Thread