View Poll Results: What's Been Your Experience of Forum Performance since the 3rd May?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Faster than it was, and no other issues

11 55.00%
  • Same speed, no other issues

9 45.00%
  • Slower than before

0 0%
  • Forget speed, I get page errors and all sorts

0 0%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Your Experience of Forum Performance since the 3rd of May

I'm Nick.

These speedtests are interesting, but they don't really mean much as far as your general browsing performance is concerned. Once you get basic broadband speeds, the speed you'll get surfing sites like this forum will be more down to the browser you're using (especially with javascript - rich sites like ours), and the speed of the database behind the site resolving your page requests and building the pages for you. Other people (like kids and family) using your connection can also seriously degrade browsing performance - if they're downloading video or audio for example. Often the thing that chokes on a home network is the upload bandwidth - you always need a few kB free to allow 'handshakes' and packet receipts to be passed back to the site you're connected to, or it'll end up slow even if you've loads of download capacity free...

Its good that one the whole people's experiences since the upgrade have been positive - at least so far
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

These speedtests are interesting, but they don't really mean much as far as your general browsing performance is concerned.
    Indeed - and that's all I really care about. I only use a computer to do invoices for my business and to use the Internet (mostly for posting on here), and it's just Del and me using computers at home, so it'll do for me!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    WTF is going on there then, in terms of the ping?
    Most likely it's contention in your area (sharig of the local pipe by your neighbours). It means your page response may lag a bit but you've plenty of download performance for content & pictures.

I'm Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I dream of 15Mbps although your ping is a bit lardy. Is that number consistent?
    Can get over 18Mb/sec at certain times of the day/night. Never goes below 14. Oddly ping is never better than 32ms or so.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm Imjustsurviving.

mine has been better since the Playstation network has been down , pesky kids and thier toys usually make my network go slow, it's been a joy the last couple of weeks , it's back up this week
    Jon

A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new.

Set up
    Lafayette el84 power amp , Audio note M1 pre , Tannoy Sterlings, Garrard 301 , SME 3012 , puresound P10, Ortofon SPU, Cambridge CXN streamer
    Micro mega Duo 3 cd transport ,

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Seems to the be running slightly faster over the last 10 days , certainly an improvement on a few months ago at least .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Dave.

Here are my speed test results -
    Attached Images Attached Images
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

I'm Mike.

Marco, notice in your 1st speed test you were connected to a server in Morecambe, and in the second a 1 in Coventry, that accounts for your ping being different, by the way mate if you want quicker broadband i would dump AOL they're not the same since being taken over by TalkTalk, try a company like BE, they usually have their own gear in the exchanges and not only is their broadband better, more stable with less peaks and troughs but faster too

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Mike,

I wouldn't have a problem with that, *providing* there was very little upheaval involved (my experience of these things suggests the opposite) and I can keep my same email address, and get easy and instant access to it.

It's the potential ball-ache side of things, likely to be involved in changing, which is making me keep the status quo, even when I know that I'm not getting the best performance, although it is 'good enough' for my needs.

If a 'wee man in his van' could come round with his techy shit and do the necessary for me, that then would be great! But it's the thought of getting involved in any technical shenanigans myself, that I find about as appealing as attempting to pass a 3-inch thick stool!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Mike,

I wouldn't have a problem with that, *providing* there was very little upheaval involved (my experience of these things suggests the opposite) and I can keep my same email address, and get easy and instant access to it.

It's the potential ball-ache side of things, likely to be involved in changing, which is making me keep the status quo, even when I know that I'm not getting the best performance.

If a 'wee man in his van' could come round with his techy shit and do the necessary for me, that then would be great! But it's the thought of getting involved in any technical shenanigans myself, that I find about as appealing as attempting to pass a 3-inch thick stool!

Marco.
    1st off AOL let you keep your email address nowadays you won't have very much down time, maybe an hour or so max, all that happens is that your new ISP send you a new router and tell you the day they are going to take over the service, on that day, not before, swap your old router for your new one, then if you have any wireless devices, laptops etc, log them on to your new router using your new WEP or WPA code simples

All that you need to do is give AOL a call and ask them for your MAC code, then call BE and order your new package. Personally speaking if I didn't have BT broadband, I would have BE no question.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast