+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HiFi Critic and the issue of servicing imported equipment

Default HiFi Critic and the issue of servicing imported equipment

I thought it might be important to mention that the editor of HiFi Critic, Paul Messenger, in the latest issue of HiFi Critic, refers to an issue which was first raised on another forum but then introduced here by Howard Popeck, namely the inability by a certain importer to repair equipment in this country.
    Paul Messenger says that the comments ( of the original poster )were " specious, ill-informed and possibly malicious"

Incidentally I had my MBL CD player repaired in Germany recently, a perfectly satisfactory procedure which took no longrer than if it had been done in the UK
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    I thought it might be important to mention that the editor of HiFi Critic, Paul Messenger, in the latest issue of HiFi Critic, refers to an issue which was first raised on another forum but then introduced here by Howard Popeck, namely the inability by a certain importer to repair equipment in this country.
    Paul Messenger says that the comments ( of the original poster )were " specious, ill-informed and possibly malicious"
    Having this evening spoken to one of the owners cited in the spiked story requested by Paul Messenger and who may (only PM knows for sure) be the author of the " specious, ill-informed and possibly malicious" posting that catalysed this matter, I have sent Paul that person's phone number.

I thought it best that Paul heard directly from the man who paid the money and had the experience.

Meanwhile, and as I have said elsewhere on this forum, conveniently for those importers who have, shall we say, a less than helpful attitude to servicing, the issue remains hidden from the unwary. "Meet the new boss - same as the old boss"

---//---
    Last edited by Neil McCauley; 04-11-2008 at 19:59.
    Well, hello.

There is a lovely Nagra reel to reel machine going on German ebay at the moment ( unfortunately buyer has to collect in the German village )

If I bought this what exactly would you expect RT to be offering if it had a fault ?
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Togil View Post
    There is a lovely Nagra reel to reel machine going on German ebay at the moment ( unfortunately buyer has to collect in the German village )

If I bought this what exactly would you expect RT to be offering if it had a fault ?
    I really have no idea. Why not ask the Nagra importers?
    Well, hello.

I'm Howard.

Had a positive reply from Editor Paul Messenger this morning.

Looks like he might take up the offer to talk directly to the Nagra owner who posted on PFM.

If so, then my guess is that we might - at last - get the public's point of view stated in the only magazine free from the constraints of advertising revenue rather than what might charitably be best described as the ducking and diving from importers who should do better for their walking wallet customers!

If nothing appears though, I guess that most of us here will be able to draw their own conclusions about the real state of balance between the industry and the public behind the finely crafted editorial rhetoric.

---//---
    Well, hello.

+ Reply to Thread