+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY DC blocker?

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Yes, they'll be ok to run your amplifier
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Dave.

Cool, how about my pair of 250W class A/B subs? Would one of these filters run one sub ok? Cheers.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

You'd need capacitors with a higher ripple current rating to be safe. Your valve amp may well consume up to about 1Amp or maybe a tad more, a 2200mA rating is therefore OK. A 250W sub may well use 500W or more which is over 2Amps at 230V...

Got the MUR3040PT sat in front of me
    Bests, Mark

I'm Dave.

Ok, so I need to match the ripple rating of the caps to the current consumption of the connected device? That makes sense.

With your diode and my caps I can make something to compare against the filter David is sending me, so that will be interesting. Then based on what I find I'll look at making something to protect my subs and other gear.
    Source: Apple TV 4K - DAC: Beresford Bushmaster Mk II - Preamp: CI AudioPLC-1 Mk II - Power Amps: Musical Fidelity 550K mono blocks - Speakers: Wharfedale Opus 3 - Cables: Mark Grant etc - Misc: Belkin PF30 mains filters.

Looky, if you bought these you could damn near if not power your whole setup. Connect two in parallel so you get 13,600uf & you'll have a 14A ripple current rating

First ones i came accross
    Last edited by Reid Malenfant; 12-05-2011 at 17:20.
    Bests, Mark

I'm Dave.

Thanks Mark, I'll have a look around. I've found some with over 30A ripple rating but they're rather expensive and rather overkill.

Talking of capacitors i realised i needed some for a project There are 2 x 1KVA toroidal transformers & 28 x 0.8C/W heatsinks calling their name

I sense a pair of balanced output class A monoblocks in the offing Looks like i'm going to stick with solid state after all..
    Bests, Mark

Well bugger me, the seller just sent me a message letting me know he'll post tomorrow. Better yet he has another 14 of these caps & he'll let me have them for £10 postage included

No brainer
    Bests, Mark

I'm invisible.

Quote Originally Posted by HighFidelityGuy View Post
    I currently have some issues where my valve amp tranny runs hot and my sub trannies intermittently buzz to varying degrees through the day. So I'm thinking I may have a DC offset issue on my mains.
    Heres a quote from the Kemp electronics website which may help you.

'To determine, if you actually suffer from DC on your mains, act as follows:Listen carefully close to your equipment, if you have any hum at all. If the answer is yes, then stay there for a while, and listen carefully. Does the hum alter in time, you can be sure, that DC on the line is the cause of this hum. Do you hear a very constant hum, always present and always the same loudness, the transformer itself may well be the cause'.

And a link to the page.
    http://www.kempelektroniks.com/getdo...aspx#pdcxcplus

Not sure if you want to buy one..they are over 300 squids.......
    If only it was that simple

Main System :
    Quad II/40 amps, Music First passive pre, Tannoy Stirling SE speakers, Technics 1200 + RB301, V-LPS, digital streaming from Mac mini via Lifatec Toslink to Moon 300D. Meier Corda Arietta headphone amp, Sennheiser HD650 Phones. Mark Grant i/c cables. Speaker cables, Audioquest Rocket 44 BiWire.

Ray.

I'm Dave.

Thanks Ray, that's exactly what I hear, a transformer hum that changes in volume. Most of the time it's very quiet and constant, then it suddenly swells to a level where you can hear it across the room and starts going up and down every few seconds. Then after a few minutes it dies down again. I haven't been able to attribute it to anything plugged in in my house, so it must be coming from an external source. I live fairly close to some steel works and other heavy industry, so I guess it must be them firing up some big machines.

Until reading about mains DC offset I'd just assumed it was the mains voltage changing but after monitoring this for a couple of weeks I began to doubt that theory. I was starting to think I'd either have to live with it or buy an expensive mains regenerator but hopefully one of the solutions mentioned here will help for a lot less money.

Cheers.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast