+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Traders - Your thoughts on forums

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Default Traders - Your thoughts on forums

Hi Richard,

Are you from the trade or just a fan of NVA? Just thought I'd ask so I know whether to upgrade you to Trade Member

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Richard,

Are you from the trade or just a fan of NVA? Just thought I'd ask so I know whether to upgrade you to Trade Member

Carry on with the excellent pictures, chaps!

Marco.
    You can call me what you like as long as you don't want to charge me 50 quid

Trade membership is free here and will remain so for a long time yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Trade membership is free here and will remain so for a long time yet.
    Well give me plenty of warning before you change it, so I can leave on my own accord. Then I don't have to be booted and banned when receiving an invoice and refusing to pay it, as happened with both PF and Wigwam

People in the trade can always post as non-trade members anyway. Besides, we are not planning to charge as we wish to encourage the trade to participate here in a way they don't elsewhere.

I take it that's a "yes" then, Richard?

All I'm hearing these days is moans about PFM, Wigwam and ZG. Hey, anyone who's not happy there is most certainly welcome here

I'll upgrade you to trade member forthwith. Feel free to advertise or promote NVA in the trade room or wherever else appropriate.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Well give me plenty of warning before you change it, so I can leave on my own accord. Then I don't have to be booted and banned when receiving an invoice and refusing to pay it, as happened with both PF and Wigwam

LOL!

I can't understand charging trade members personally, surely it's an honour to have their advice and wisdom rather than a way to make money.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Quote Originally Posted by Filterlab View Post
    LOL!

I can't understand charging trade members personally, surely it's an honour to have their advice and wisdom rather than a way to make money.
    It gets more bizarre than that. Because I have made a point of not lying down and putting up with it recently even mentioning nva is now banned and any threads praising it are locked (be rude or critical and it is not locked ). It is claimed this is because of the forum rules as banned individuals cannot be talked about. BUT nva was not banned, an individual called Richard Dunn was banned for not giving them money. So rules are being bent in order to satisfy the ego and greed of the owners and a fully fledged nazi type sensorship is in place. Sick people in a largely sick industry where behaviour like this is common place amoungst some retailers distributors and manufacturers. Well IMO it is changing, the industry is going back to its enthusiasts roots of the 50's and early 60's, even a lot of product is going back that way as it is realised that in a lot of ways the baby has gone out with the bathwater in the pursuit of digital and other chip based electronics. Convenience and music are difficult bedfellows and IMO will split. Lets face it men are naturally nerdy geeks who have to have hobbies. Well this market is leaving the mainstream and going back to its source nerdy geeks I hope this forum will maintain this trend and lets get back to that source, not money, not rip-off prices and products, not 50% mark up retailers, not biased advertising based magazines. But enthusiast builders and designers talking to and supplying enthusiast music lovers - the way it was and should be again!

If others want to comment and this thread is going to run perhaps admin can make a new thread with it as gromit is having his thread hi-jacked.

I'm BigBobJoylove.

I think you've made some excellent points there Richard and it's clear that you are monitoring the market carefully.

On The Art of Sound our first prerogative was to get as many trade members on as possible, be it whether they are manufacturers, dealers or press members. Their 'close to the game' knowledge and industry awareness proves invaluable to consumers and consequently we want that accessable to our consumer members (which make up the bulk of course). Now to charge for that information and knowledge would essentially be shooting ourselves in the feet and would neither help those in the trade or the consumers. In this day and age of the internet it's very difficult to get good advice simply because the web is awash with nonsense and arguments so to get good honest advice from decent traders is a real boon to a site like this.

Whether a manufacturer / dealer promotes his or her own products is neither here nor there as an honest trader (and hi-fi is an honest industry) will only promote where there is a potential for satisfaction. i.e. If someone requires an amplifier to drive incredibly insensitive speakers to concert levels, a trader selling 1 watt valve amps is hardly going to suggest his product as a potential good investment.

So with this in mind we aim to get as many trade members in as possible, we won't charge them and we WILL allow them to promote their good wherever they feel their products are of noteworthyness. We will not be banning anyone or bending any rules, we'll simply be embracing trade members knowledge and advice.

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Richard,

Sure! Sound like a good idea, as long as it's not a blatant slagging off of other forums. Keep things polite and the criticism constructive and we won't have a problem. As soon as either myself or Rob get a chance we'll move your comments from here and transfer them to a new thread

I'm glad you're starting to 'loosen up' a bit now after your somewhat tentative (although understandable) approach before. Don't worry, we don't bite!

I think you'll find that The Art of Sound will fulfil your needs nicely. I won't comment on the decisions made by other forum administrators as it isn't our policy.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast