+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fidelity Research FR64x

I'm InSpace.

Mine is just about due for a retip... but what it needs more than anything is a decent tonearm! Actually, it could do with ANY tonearm TBH, having recently sold mine.

Hmmm, getting more and more tempted!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Nobody.

Do it mike you know you want to

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Johnny (J7 - of Audio Origami fame) just complemented the arm too on the TheCrossoverNetwork forum so must be good!

The FR64fx's effective mass is 20g so here's the chart for cart compatability:

Vinyl Engine Resonance Evaluator

The ART1 has a mass of 9.5g and compliance at 100Hz of 8 which could be about 9 at 10Hz (that's a guess) for the chart.

That puts combined resonance nicely at 10Hz (SME state 10-12 Hz to be the desired range) so that it doesn't effect the bass nor get the whole cart wobbling about due to warps and causing horrible flutter or a bouncy suspended deck!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    Johnny (J7 - of Audio Origami fame) just complemented the arm too on the TheCrossoverNetwork forum so must be good!

The FR64fx's effective mass is 20g so here's the chart for cart compatability:

Vinyl Engine Resonance Evaluator

The ART1 has a mass of 9.5g and compliance at 100Hz of 8 which could be about 9 at 10Hz (that's a guess) for the chart.

That puts combined resonance nicely at 10Hz (SME state 10-12 Hz to be the desired range) so that it doesn't effect the bass nor get the whole cart wobbling about due to warps and causing horrible flutter or a bouncy suspended deck!
    No, not quite: the compliance of a cartridge at 10Hz is 1.5 - 2 x the compliance at 100Hz. So for the ART1 this puts it at 12 -16 cu, placing the resonance when installed in FR64fx arm at between 7.3 -8.3Hz.

Theoretically this is a little too low, but if the deck is well isolated from the floor (and thus not subject to footfalls) it shouldn't be a problem.
    Barry

I see - thanks for that.

I had it on an Oracle, an Acoustic Arts stand (odd design, but very good) and have a concrete floor so it worked very well.

It was originally matched with a Koetsu Red so that may be an even better partner for the FR64fx

Bump

(P.S. Marco - the FR64fx manual says that with there is an optional weight to use with the SPU and before I knew that, I remember seeing one on one Ebay site or another relatively recently which I doubt will have sold.. Could be worth doing a little research)

I'm Brian.

That looks familier, I think I still have one of those packed away still in it's original box!

Quote Originally Posted by English Audiophile View Post
    That looks familier, I think I still have one of those packed away still in it's original box!
    You need to find that and dust it off!

Unexpectedly, the FR64x is still for sale..

SOLD!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12