+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm Guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Absolutely Pete - if only we could have conducted some blind test between the LP12 and something akin to the PL71 back in the early 80's.
    Sadly, that did happen although the DD contender back then was the UK made (Japanese mech) JBE III Slate.

It was preferred by a group of listeners used in one of the magazines, there was uproar among the Linn selling advertisers and the conclusions were somehow re-written or subsequently dismissed. Presumably JBE had trouble finding stockists and closed not long afterwards. Someone like Howard or DSJR would probably remember this better. ( I only read the magazines about this 2 or 3 years after the event)

Interesting design though. Slate plinth, direct drive mech. Not much new under the sun even 25 years later!

It's stories like that, and the problems that companies with better designs like Pink Triangle, Dais & Townshend (amongst others) had gaining a foothold that irk people. More because progress was hindered while people swallowed the 'tune playing' nonsense for too long.
    Last edited by pure sound; 16-12-2008 at 09:07.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Akito? YUCH!!!!!!!

Hey Gromit, when you have spare funds, why not try the Jelco like the one Marco is using. I reckon it would fit a Linn arm hole unless it's Rega length of course..
    Dave, the Jelco does indeed use a Linn-type fitting. As good an arm as it is though, I'm not sure that I'd want to 'vandalise' a lovely classic deck like the PL-71 by replacing the (pretty respectable) stock arm with a Jelco or anything else...

Classic T/Ts should really be enjoyed and used as they are

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

It was preferred by a group of listeners used in one of the magazines, there was uproar among the Linn selling advertisers and the conclusions were somehow re-written or subsequently dismissed...
    I'm glad that I was too young then and missed most of that shit when getting into hi-fi. I doubt though that my thoughts and decision making would have been so easily influenced and manipulated.

I just wish the Internet (and forums like this) had been around in those days. The less-brainwashed then could have exposed these charlatans for the w*nkers they were and (perhaps) then the outcome would have been different.

It's stories like that, and the problems that companies with better designs like Pink Triangle, Dais & Townshend (amongst others) had gaining a foothold that irk people. More because progress was hindered while people swallowed the 'tune playing' nonsense for too long.
    Never truer words were said!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by pure sound View Post
    Sadly, that did happen although the DD contender back then was the UK made (Japanese mech) JBE III Slate.

It was preferred by a group of listeners used in one of the magazines, there was uproar among the Linn selling advertisers and the conclusions were somehow re-written or subsequently dismissed.
    Very nice, Guy.

One thing I do remember was back in Sept 79 (as a spotty 14 yr old who'd just got his first ever hifi system) University Audio in Cambridge organised a hifi show where one room was given over to a Linn-fronted system. Also present in that room alongside the LP12 (fitted with Mission 774 arm/773 cartridge) was a JBE with SME III like the one in your pic. They'd promised a 'Linn/JBE shoot-out' during the show. I'd just started to be slightly aware of the fact that Linn were obviously feeling slightly threatened here - how could someone have the audacity to actually put their product up against their baby?

Strangely enough, that Linn vs JBE shoot-out never happened - AFAIR the JBE sat there and didn't turn even one revolution all weekend.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Guy.

to be fair, by the early to mid 80's the fabulous but expensive Goldmund Studio had appeared and was also accepted by many (elsewhere in the world) as being a serious step up from the LP12 and its ilk.

to be fair, by the early to mid 80's the fabulous but expensive Goldmund Studio had appeared and was also accepted by many (elsewhere in the world) as being a serious step up from the LP12 and its ilk.
    Hahahaha... Guy wins this month's 'Snappy' award for gross underestimation!

More like replacing "a serious step up" with "in a different league"!!

Marco.
    Main System

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Marco, I was suggesting that Gromit replaced that awful arm on his LP12! Heaven forbid that the PL71 gets vandalised

The JBE was a very good deck at the time. We sold a good few with Mayware arms and Sonus Blue cartridges, the combination sounding very effective as I remember. The LP12/Grace 707/Supex sounded a bit "sexier" but ultimately wasn't as faithful to the source (when was ever any different where the Lp12 is concerned?).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Ah, my mistake, Dave - apologies

I did like some of those early Grace/Supex LP12s, though. IMO, if you're going to have a coloured sound you may as well make it a 'sexy' one. How much of the 'sexiness' though do you think was due to the Supex cartridge?

Today's Cirkus/Lingo/Keel modified LP12s, whilst still coloured in the extreme, are about as 'sexy' an experience as having a red-hot 9" nail shoved up your bell-end!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Neil.

Default Hi Guy

The Goldmund was a Pierre Lurne design and in time an almost identical TT was released as Pierre's first TT. Nice deck and much better than the later Romance TT ( Romeo uni-pivot arm)which was very fragile as a design. It looked a bit like an oil rig and had pontoons for feet. However these were to heavy for the support struts. If lifted wrongly they cracked or broke. Still it was a nice TT sound wise at least.

My previous employer was the distributor for this brand and his CDP's were very good but sadly came with rubbish packaging, breakages due to transport damage were common. Pierre's gone back to analogue in the last year or so, but I have not heard ( his new arm and motor unit) it, so can offer no comment.

I once heard a shoot out at a Dublin show between a Linn Lp 12 and A Naim Lp 12. I much preferred the sound of the Naim Lp 12 but if I had a choice neither would be my first choice. However in saying that I re-built an Lp 12 a few months before loosing my job and after re-setting it up it was by far the best Lp12 I had heard and my boss agreed. So that issue with the soggy bass can be sorted.
    Talking of old TT's I just loved the Voyd sound. Valdi or Voyd ref etc. these worked amazingly well with Audio Innovations amps,Rata Toryelite stand, Snell Speakers, Pirate stands and Audio Note cabling. Those were the days. " Wheres the ----- bass " PQ.

I still own an AI s 500 amp and a set of AI mk3 s 1000 mono amps, very nice indeed.

Regards D S D L---- Neil
    Last edited by Spectral Morn; 29-12-2008 at 10:07.

I'm Guy.

I met PL a few times. Lovely chap & very clever. I was amused when he told me that the Goldmund Ref was more an engineering showpiece & that the Studio was still the one to have!

+ Reply to Thread