+ Reply to Thread
Page 102 of 122 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1216

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Ah I see. I was just wondering how versatile the 2010is are .
    They're strange little things - on the surface of it they sound sweet with pretty much anything. I've driven them with amps from a KEL84 to the 770ES - opposing ends of the power-spectrum - and they just get on with the job very nicely. However to really wake them up they definitely need plenty of juice, or certainly like being driven hard.

The Q's sound better on the 770ES and Exposure XV than they do with the Naim though, the Sapphires seem to prefer the latter. The Exposure sits half-way between both camps, sounding great into either.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm gone.

Re: the Q-Ac 2010i -- when I was looking after your room for a while this year at Scalford, Richard, a guy came in and was just slack jawed at the sound.
    "I've got a pair of those speakers" he said " and they don't sound anywhere near as good as these. Mine are softer sounding and a bit boring.".
    I can't remember what amp he said he had but it wasn't very gutsy - I pointed at your Sony 770ES amp - "that's what makes the difference", I said.

I'm Buffet-blower.

You're right Jerry - that Sony amp really grabs the Q's nicely, and what also helps is the V-D Blue speaker cable.

Unleashed the big Sony as needed to do some interconnect write-ups today so to kill 2 birds etc though it'd be useful to compare all the amps at the same time. The results which are forming are quite interesting:

Last edited by Gromit; 07-04-2014 at 13:10.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Grant.

I,ve got my pair attached to my yaqin 100 and they really rock...not the I,s but still a fantastic little speaker and your right in that they like some oomph...
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Buffet-blower.

Today was amplifier bake-off day. Had an old mate of mine up for the day who brought with him my old Nait 2, still doing sterling service in his 2nd system (like me he's an Exposure nut). Anyway was good to spend a few hours spinning some tunes but will start another thread about our thoughts - and results - of the comparisons we made.

A few pics anyway...

Richard.

I'm James.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    Patience, my friend.

<truth is I've been a tad busy and just need time to sit down and put metaphorical pen to paper>

The basic results are as follows - I'll get on to explaining what/why when I get chance:

1st: Exposure XV
    =2nd: Naim 42.5/HiCap/110 & Sony 770ES
    3rd: Nait 2
    4th: Naim 42.5/110 (ie without the HiCap).

It was a really interesting few hours, and Robert & I agreed on 90% of what we were hearing. The above results were based on using the amps' line stages as the little Nait only has an MM input obviously. However, between the XV, Sony & Naim pre-power using their respective phonostages the Exposure was a long way ahead. The equal 2nd place isn't a cop-out - it really was swings & roundabouts here they were so close.

I'm off to see Darran at Class A on Thursday to have the HiCap serviced as from looking inside it would appear it's never been touched in 25+ years (it has the old red caps). Ok it may not yield huge improvement, but unless I get it done I'll never know.
    Last edited by Gromit; 15-04-2014 at 20:56.
    Richard.

I'm James.

Guess that means I've got even less chance of getting my hands on that Exposure!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Patience, my friend.

<truth is I've been a tad busy and just need time to sit down and put metaphorical pen to paper>

The basic results are as follows - I'll get on to explaining what/why when I get chance:

1st: Exposure XV
    =2nd: Naim 42.5/HiCap/110 & Sony 770ES
    3rd: Nait 2
    4th: Naim 42.5/110 (ie without the HiCap).

It was a really interesting few hours, and Robert & I agreed on 90% of what we were hearing. The above results were based on using the amps' line stages as the little Nait only has an MM input obviously. However, between the XV, Sony & Naim pre-power using their respective phonostages the Exposure was a long way ahead. The equal 2nd place isn't a cop-out - it really was swings & roundabouts here they were so close.

I'm off to see Darran at Class A on Thursday to have the HiCap serviced as from looking inside it would appear it's never been touched in 25+ years (it has the old red caps). Ok it may not yield huge improvement, but unless I get it done I'll never know.

Yes, that could be said of all the amps you mention there Richard?
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm James.

Interesssting ! I must admit, I wouldn't expect a Nait 2 to outperform a 42/110 even without Hicap ... Had the Nait been serviced at all ? No accounting for taste of course

Looks like that Expo has turned has out to be a good buy !

+ Reply to Thread