+ Reply to Thread
Page 101 of 122 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103111 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1216

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Well, the HiCap's been on-line now for a couple of days and its contribution to this little rig is beyond doubt - it's made a big difference. From offering more bass/transient speed to taking a lot of the 'etched' presentation away, it's doing a great job. Compared to the 72/Hi/180 I owned a few years ago, this set-up is just so different it's been a major surprise. Also just replaced the grey Naim Snaic4 (from HC to 110) with one from Flashback and there's been a jump in clarity too, and all for less than 30 quid.

Bottom line is I'm very much enjoying my little foray back in to Naimworld.
    When new, the 180 absolutely destroyed a 140, which itself bettered the 110. NO WAY can a 42.5 better a 72, since the filtering tone controls are so crude in the 42.5 and later 92. I can't argue with your liking it, but the presentation is going to be so different from 'proper' amps I'm sure, and the added crossover and odd-order distortion contributes much to this I feel as well as the phase shifts at the frequency extremes which the 72 largely got rid of. I'll be very surprised if 'other' amps don't sound tame in comparison
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    When new, the 180 absolutely destroyed a 140, which itself bettered the 110. NO WAY can a 42.5 better a 72, since the filtering tone controls are so crude in the 42.5 and later 92. I can't argue with your liking it, but the presentation is going to be so different from 'proper' amps I'm sure, and the added crossover and odd-order distortion contributes much to this I feel as well as the phase shifts at the frequency extremes which the 72 largely got rid of. I'll be very surprised if 'other' amps don't sound tame in comparison
    Well Dave as far as the 180's concerned I really didn't like it - tried to, believe me, but in conjunction with what was in my system at the time whilst not a disaster, it was way too limiting in its ability to cover different musical instrumentation. Piano sounded nigh-on unlistenable which is why I got rid. The 180 had been serviced less than 6 months before I bought it too (I rang Naim to check).

With what I've got now, whilst not saying it sh*ts diamonds (yes it has its faults) all my music collection is entirely listenable - and that is something I really didn't think I'd be saying the day before the 42.5/110 arrived.

What will be interesting is next weekend I have a friend up to stay who's bringing his CB Nait 2 (serviced approx 3 months ago). Looking forward to that.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by selby View Post
    So what you're saying is you'd love to sell it to me? ;-)
    Not from where I'm sitting.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm James.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Could possibly add a touch of 'non-expectation bias?' to the 42.5/110? I really didn't expect to like it, which I admit is a thoroughly stupid way of looking at things when buying hifi, but thought 'why not?'. I've been very pleasantly surprised by it and have listened to it loads since it arrived.
    Richard.

I'm Brian.

Blackmail ?

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Blackmail ?

One of the other amps had to go, and in the end it was the Sony which is on its way later this week. Thing is, it's still sat here on the shelf in our music room looking at me as if to say 'you swine, how could you, after all the pleasure I've given?'. If it could talk - it'd be right.
    Richard.

I'm Brian.

Richard , are you still using the Q Acoustics 2010i speakers with all these different amps ?

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Richard , are you still using the Q Acoustics 2010i speakers with all these different amps ?
    Hi Brian - good timing for that question as just this afternoon I put the Q's on after using just the Sapphires for the past couple of weeks. The 110 drives them pretty well, not bad considering they do like to have plenty of amplifier behind them. I also put the 770ES back online too for the first time since getting the Naim set-up.
    Richard.

I'm Brian.

Ah I see. I was just wondering how versatile the 2010is are .

+ Reply to Thread