+ Reply to Thread
Page 117 of 122 FirstFirst ... 1767107115116117118119 ... LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1216

Thread: Gromit's music centre...

I'm Brian.

Oh...and some piccies please
    Regards
    Brian

Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment . (Rumi )

Korus Computer Audio music server
    JustBoom DAC . HRT Musicstreamer 2
    Amplifier : Sony TA FB740R
    Speakers : Tannoy 637
    Interconnects : MS Audio / Klotz MC5000 .
    Speaker cables : Western Electric 16AG

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by brian2957 View Post
    Oh...and some piccies please
    Pretty please! I'm getting addicted

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    tell me where you want it edited from and they can go into another thread if thats your wish
    No damage done - it makes for interesting(ish) reading
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Buffet-blower.

Sorry to those expecting an earlier blow-by-blow report on my own little amp bake-off, had a very busy hifi-day (the joys of semi-retirement!).

Ok...

Although the Super XV's phonostage is superb - one of the best I've heard in any integrated - it is bettered by the P75 in PE mode.

As to an outright winner between the amps, it's hard to call but contrary to what I'd expected I'd have to give the nod to the Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R. It's more rounded, with greater heft and clarity over the Exposure. More music genre agnostic, and a broader musical picture. It has most of the groove of the Exposure but with the advantage of giving the listener a more open window on tiny details. It also sounds a lot more powerful and just gets a bigger sound from the Royds. Most of the music today was jazz, a lot of fusion (Chick Corea/Dave Weckl etc) where tomorrow we're doing some prog and rock (early Genesis/Rush/Yes etc) with a good dose of big band too. Who knows, it may swing the other way.

Piccies will follow tomorrow, I promise.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Brian.

Nice write up Richard , you've been doing a bit of box swapping the last wee while

It's nice to have the time to sit down and listen to ones system in a relaxed manner , and make your mind up about what you're hearing . I look forward to some pictures of what you were listening to and talking about
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Buffet-blower.

Cheers Brian - the Cyrus amp has been a very pleasant surprise over this last 12 months (yes I've kept an amp that long!). Their stuff does get a lot of ridicule on the forums but from what this little amp has given me, I can see (hear) why it is still liked by many.

Marmite? Probably - but certainly none the worse IME.
    Richard.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Few more piccies...

Volume by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Pair by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

System by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Another couple of hours this morning doing some fiddling about. As a huge fan of Exposure for nearly 25 years, I really hoped the Super XV would prove to be a better amp than the Cyrus but the silver boxes have it beaten. The Exposure is - at a smidge - easier to listen to but the Cyrus just digs out more detail and dynamics. The bass is better, being not only stronger but with a more defined sense of pitch, which is when all's said the grounding for harmony.
    Richard.

I'm Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Gromit View Post
    Few more piccies...

Volume by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Pair by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

System by Boxertrixter, on Flickr

Another couple of hours this morning doing some fiddling about. As a huge fan of Exposure for nearly 25 years, I really hoped the Super XV would prove to be a better amp than the Cyrus but the silver boxes have it beaten. The Exposure is - at a smidge - easier to listen to but the Cyrus just digs out more detail and dynamics. The bass is better, being not only stronger but with a more defined sense of pitch, which is when all's said the grounding for harmony.
    Beautiful pictures as ever Richard . I haven't heard a Cyrus amp for years mate , and TBH they've always been pretty low down on my wish list , glad you're enjoying them .
    You've also had the little Teac DAC for a long time , do you use it ?

You've also went back to Royds , haven't you ? I've had A7s and Minstrels , however I found them a bit bright when I went digital . How do they compare to the Q Acoustics ?
    Regards
    Brian

I'm Peter.

Beautiful looking hi-fi system there Richard, superb photpgraphy also...... wow.

I'm not that well up on the Cyrus amps you've in your hi-fi system, is that a Cyrus Pre & Power amp combo in your system then..?

Regards;
    Pete
    Peter McCullough Photography
    ------------------------------------------
    TRAVEL - EXPLORE - CAPTURE

I'm Buffet-blower.

Quote Originally Posted by macvisual View Post
    Beautiful looking hi-fi system there Richard, superb photpgraphy also...... wow.

I'm not that well up on the Cyrus amps you've in your hi-fi system, is that a Cyrus Pre & Power amp combo in your system then..?

Regards;
    Pete
    Thanks Pete.

The 2-box Cyrus is the 8vs integrated with PSX-R power supply. I bought the amp on its own to start with during a late-night wine-induced bout of eBay BiB button clicking (seriously!). Once in the system though, I was very pleasantly surprised by its abilities, in fact I'd say it was the first amp through these doors which was a genuine upgrade to the Sony 770ES.

The PSX-R just adds weight and clarity - and great value (used) too.
    Richard.

+ Reply to Thread