+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 6502 Processor as a DAC?

I'm Josie.

Default 6502 Processor as a DAC?

Hi there.

Being from a BBC micro background I was wondering if the 6502 processor would be able to be utilised as a DAC?

It's an 8 bit CPU with a 16 bit address bus. Possible? or crazy talk..

A strange one to ask but it was just a thought...

Cheers
    Joe
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

It was used in the BBC Micro and Commodore C64 as such. However it's an 8 bit processor of limited speed. You'll need to go up to the 68000 or higher I reckon before you would get anything sensible sound wise.

I'm Josie.

hmm... 68000 ey. Good ol Amiga stuff. Thats interesting though. I wonder if and how difficult it would be to make?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Nick.

You are better looking at FPGA's to get the sort of io that is needed.
    Nick.

I'm Mervin.

The microprocessors found in PCs do not have analogue outputs, which are the very important 'A' in D-A-C, so even the fastest x86 / 64-bit chips can't be forced to generate the audio which you're looking for.

On the face of it, dacs are pretty basic devices, taking a series of 16- or 24-bit digital bits, fed at somewhere between 44.1 and 192kHz per sample, but the conversion and digital filtering that occurs internally is pretty hairy. I think early generation microprocessors will sweat very hard to cope with the signal processing tasks that take place in dacs.

I'm Josie.

I wonder if using a multiple of CPU's in parallel would or could do the business? I think it would be interesting to see if something like the 6502 could do the business of a modern DAC unit.. if pressed.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by mervinb View Post
    The microprocessors found in PCs do not have analogue outputs, which are the very important 'A' in D-A-C, so even the fastest x86 / 64-bit chips can't be forced to generate the audio which you're looking for.
    Well, it can be done with a single digital output with a low pass filter, if you output DSD then a low pass filter will reconstrict the audio. But again, I think you need the speed of logic not a processor hence the FPGA
    Nick.

+ Reply to Thread