+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buffalo Dac

I'm John.

I’m going to do what I was going to do in the first place and just finish building it
    Nicks output stage adds another £250 to £300 to the build including yet another power supply and while I accept those who have heard it say it’s an improvement on the Ivy 111 stage there are also an awful lot of this Dacs builders who are more than happy with the standard configuration.

Yer man over at Lampizator seems to have got a bit pissy over the fact that he can’t add his tubes in a bolt on fashion any more. Reading through the pages there it seems there isn’t anything that in his opinion doesn’t sound better with his tube add ons…………

I’m going for a single box build after all with screened compartments for the power supplies given I’m not short of 1/8 ally plate which I can drill and tap to make vertical dividers. The transformers are cased for magnetic shielding.

Once the Dac has settled in and I’ve had a chance to get to know how it sounds in my system and funds permitting I may consider Nicks valve stage which should be fairly easy to add in providing I leave box room.

Atm I’m far more interested in getting the server build finished which for me, is a much more interesting project and doesn’t require handfuls of £70 transformers and a load of glass
    Last edited by Welder; 25-04-2011 at 13:34.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123