+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Three SF Books That Should Be Filmed

MartinT Guest

Default Three SF Books That Should Be Filmed

My three nominations for books that should be filmed all feature huge scope, the kind of SF storytelling from an author that really lights my fire and the visualisation that makes me think it is filmable:

- Pushing Ice by Alastair Reynolds, massive scope, huge tracts of time and a rivalry that centres the story arc.

- Excession by Ian M. Banks (or any of his Culture novels), involving some of his most interesting characters, the ships themselves with their evocative names.

- Manifold Time by Stephen Baxter (Mark should appreciate this as it involves his hero, Reid Malenfant), the only author apart from Reynolds who can write about truly huge lengths of time.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post

- Manifold Time by Stephen Baxter (Mark should appreciate this as it involves his hero, Reid Malenfant), the only author apart from Reynolds who can write about truly huge lengths of time.
    Ah, i'm getting to know you a little better Martin

From the same Manifold trilogy i'd have to pick Space which is just about one of my favourite books ever, out of the Manifold series Time is a very close second. Origin just didn't quite cut the mustard i'm afraid, well not for me.. Space is about mans first contact with alien races & how things wouldn't quite be so benign, it also came up with a good answer for the Fermi Paradox

My second & third choices would have to be from yet another trilogy with the first two novels blazing away & the third being yet another turkey Bring forth Greg Bears' Eon & Eternity which are both dramatic in scope & pretty mindbending to boot. These bring the future to the near present in a causal loop which results in global nuclear war & the aftermath while also dealing with a 50 mile asteroid that appears from no-where out on the edge of the solar system & enters earth orbit. This asteroid was hollowed out by humans in the future & used as a starship to travel to a star system with a habitable planet, things get interesting though

Martin, if you haven't read Eon & Eternity then DO!

I'm sure i'll think of quite a few more books that deserve films to be made, right now though those 3 i'd die to see if done right
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

MartinT Guest

I've read Eon but not Eternity. I shall look it up although I have a fair pile of books to get through.

Have you read any Reynolds? Strongly recommended.

I have been fascinated with the Fermi Paradox for years. My personal view is that other life in the universe is inevitable - there is nothing special or unique about us. Therefore the distances and time involved have masked their presence to us. Great to debate, though

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Agree with the above. I'd add Peter Hamilton's books too.

I'm Nick.

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

MartinT Guest

I read lots of Simak when I was younger. The novel of his that has always stuck in my mind is Way Station.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    I've read Eon but not Eternity. I shall look it up although I have a fair pile of books to get through.

Have you read any Reynolds? Strongly recommended.

I have been fascinated with the Fermi Paradox for years. My personal view is that other life in the universe is inevitable - there is nothing special or unique about us. Therefore the distances and time involved have masked their presence to us. Great to debate, though
    Oh yes, do read Eternity It's a little more convoluted as the lady that tried to reach back to Earth (Patricia Vasquez) landed on an alternate earth

I'm not sure about Reynolds, i'll look at what i have & possibly expand my collection once again

Yeah, we aren't alone, life establishes itself just as soon as it can. The question is are we the only intelligent life is more interesting. If you read Space you'll understand why shutting the f*ck up & not broadcasting radio & TV is a superb idea But i'm sure you have & know...

Hope both you & Ali have a good easter

Hold up... Reynolds, are some of his books near on 1000 pages? If so i have a few but haven't got there yet (man they are thick)
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Cheers Mark, all the best.

MartinT Guest

If you have Century Rain, Pushing Ice or Revelation Space, try one of them first.

And a happy and peaceful Easter to you all

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yep,agreed,they are all great books.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast