+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hi from SW London

Default Hi from SW London

This is my third hifi forum I've joined so let's see how it fares!

As a newbie what are the key no-nos I should look out for? The other two fora seem to have either Naim lovers or those who go to the other extreme I can't get excited over a brand - only a sound!

I have a penchant for vintage tuners at the moment (FM) and have 2 80s Sansuis, a 70s Marantz, a Creek, and yes a Naim (just bought and the only Naim kit I've ever owned). I'm also in a vinyl phase too.

Looking forward to seeing how hifi buffs on this site compare to others - another class I'm sure!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi mate,

Welcome to AOS

What's your first name? We usually ask all our members this and to add it to their signature as it makes for more friendly interaction, and of course saves people referring to you as "ex brickie"

Have I seen you on Wigwam? Your name seems to ring a bell.

You'll find the hi-fi discussion here somewhat different to the other main forums in that there is no brand loyalty displayed. No-one here is wedded to Linn or Naim (or anything else) - in effect there are no 'fanboys'. We're all very open-minded whether it's valves & vinyl or the latest in computer audio.

I also have a passion for vintage tuners, although I don't own any at the moment.

What system are you running?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

The best sound/£/€/$ regardless of brand is what we are about and we host the full range of approaches from DIY through bespoke to off-the-peg commercial stuff from little tiny brands right up to the big boys.

I'd like to think the spread was fairly even.

Quote Originally Posted by ex brickie View Post
    I'm also in a vinyl phase too.

i predict a japanese dj deck entering your home soon

Hi, i'm Gareth and i'm an audioholic

I'm Nick.

Hi Mr Brickie It sounds like you're a man with very good taste! I'm a firm believer in vintage stuff but it takes all sorts. Glad you found us!
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm ILOB.

Welcome its a friendly site and people have a open mind no matter if its vintage radio or modern computers
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Thumbs up

Thanks for the kind words folks.

As for system, it's LP12/silver wired Ittok/Henk plinth/DV20x/Lingo 2/Cirkus with Trichord Dino phono stage, ATC SAI2-150 amp, Micro Utopia Speakers, Moon Nova CD and 2 top tuners! The tuner connected to this main system is a Sansui TU 9900 but I have a recently purchased NAT01 in the kitchen

I also have a 70s Marantz amp, tuner and cassette deck. Plus a TU 517 Sansui tuner which I've just sold (pickeing up next week). I also have a Creek tuner! Just bought a Creek 4330 amp but having problems with the phono stage (I may put a thread on this soon!)

Never been on Wigwam. Recently joined the Naim site to get advice on the NAT01. Need to buy a top notch aerial (has to be Ron Smith I guess)

I have a jap deck already (I think someone has spotted another thread on another site!) - I have an SL1200 from my DJ days.

I still have a penchant for 70s Pioneer stuff but I need to trim down my gear not buy more!

That's enough for now......

Cheers, Nick

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice system, Nick. Have you read some of our threads on the SL-1210? You need to get rid of that 'rubber band' Scottish thing and tweak your Technics to make it become something rather superior

It wasn't Wigwam I've seen you on, it was PFM.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it here

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

+ Reply to Thread