+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great site for anyone who loves TD-124s!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Smile Great site for anyone who loves TD-124s!

Some superb info here on the venerable Thorens TD-124:

http://www.analogue-classics.com/htm...ns_td_124.html

Anyone who doesn't think that this is a GORGEOUS turntable, needs their eyes tested.... The poster on the wall isn't too shabby either!

Barry, that's what you should be doing with yours!

It's certainly what I'd be doing if I had one...........

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Come on Marco, you know you need one now you've exhausted all the techie mods...

You never know, a 124 might even sound better
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Lol - if I had the space to keep both permanently set-up, I wouldn't hesitate for a nano second!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

And look at this for some serious SME 3009/3012 tweakage:

http://www.analogtubeaudio.de/52-1-s...12-tweaks.html

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Some superb info here on the venerable Thorens TD-124:

http://www.analogue-classics.com/htm...ns_td_124.html

Anyone who doesn't think that this is a GORGEOUS turntable, needs their eyes tested.... The poster on the wall isn't too shabby either!

Barry, that's what you should be doing with yours!

It's certainly what I'd be doing if I had one...........

Marco.

Hi Marco,

Yes I know about that site, but can't for the life of me understand how he got hold of that photograph of my harem? And an EMT user to boot!

I wish I knew where he obtained that armboard for the 12" SME. Mine's the same thickness as those for 9" arms, wider boards overhang the deck. His, having a step in the thickness, looks more elegant. Perhaps André could make me one?

But the TD124s do look lovely. I admire the smooth curves (I'm talking about the deck, not the poster!) that can only be achieved with casting. Sadly this is an expensive process and not unlikely to be used today.

I really ought to see how I can fit a second arm to my plinth. My plinth doesn't seem deep enough, so a second arm would have to be mounted on a bracket.

Once I have completed all the umpteen projects and reports for AoS, I'll have a go.

Regards
    Barry

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The poster on the wall isn't too shabby either!
    I Noticed the Jazz poster on the back wall

Yup, great tunes, combined with some 'saddle sniffage' every day - the dude's got it all.....!

Marco.
    Main System

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Lovely turntable and not a bad photo , but could be better framed , i suggest a bit further back so we could have a nice panoramic view
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

Indeed, but obviously a man of immaculate taste!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Nobody.

Last edited by Rare Bird; 22-04-2011 at 11:52.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast