+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: replacement end stub and counterweight?

I'm Nigel.

Hamish,

I have a Techno weight that you can borrow and try out before you buy one if you like. I must say though that the 301 is a better arm than the previous version imho and their tungston weight may be a cheaper option for you.

Also some of these cheap scales are not suitable for pick up cartridges, far better to use a balance type like the Ortofon or Shure, just my experience.

Nigel

I'm Nigel.

Hamish,

Another option is a simple stainless steel washer slid over the stub and butted up against the original weight, most engineering supplies will have some of various weights and sizes, just use a little blue tack between the two to stop movement.

Nigel

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

My personal experience of the Shure stylus balance is that it isn't any more accurate than many popular tonearms. The Michell/Transcriptors stylus scales using a uni-pivot balance and precision calibrated weights are significantly more accurate (20th of a gramme from memory), essential for the half-gramme trackers of the early 70's which it was designed for.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by vinylspinner View Post
    Hamish,

I have a Techno weight that you can borrow and try out before you buy one if you like. I must say though that the 301 is a better arm than the previous version imho and their tungston weight may be a cheaper option for you.

Also some of these cheap scales are not suitable for pick up cartridges, far better to use a balance type like the Ortofon or Shure, just my experience.

Nigel
    That would be great mate ...

If I compare it too the current weight with added mass I can see if the underslung weights make any odds to my ear ... ...

Had a brief chat with hifi save today and feel a bit more informed now ... Cheers Dave, perhaps you could find out cost of a tungsten weight as well as a heavy one for me ... If that's ok???? ... If they aren't the same thing???
    CS Port TAT2 - Benz LPS - Funkfirm Houdini - DS Audio Vinyl Ionizer - CS Port C3EQ - Kondo G70 - Kondo Gakuoh II - Maxonic TW1100 MKII - Isol-8 SubStation Integra

I'm Dave.

OK, as I said earlier, it is not necessary to replace the end stub. The RB301 end stub is as good as it gets. You could replace it for many Pounds with a poorly machined, poorly finished bodge job as I have seen many times. So keep the standard one.

To balance your Philips cartridge, Rega have two c/weights to suit - an extra heavy Tungsten job at £100 retail and a heavy stainless steel type at £28. Both will do the job and are guaranteed to be a good fit and are beautifully finished.

If you just want a temporary fix and can lay your hands on a strip of lead or pile of very large washers etc, you can 'modify' your present c/weight for minimal outlay.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234