+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trio KD-500

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Hmm, seems I'm the lone voice in the wilderness
    I'll add my voice to yours Adam,so that you don't feel so lonely.

This is the deck I used in the 70's and I don't remember any 'muddy bass' that DSJR alludes to.My brother bought it about 35 years ago and still uses it today,sounds great to me.But what do I know,I use a pishy rubber band fruitbox.
    ATB

David

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You used it with a dry and lean toned SME... The heavy plinth was a joy amongst chipboard framed hollow-box alternatives, but even these need careful siting. Do this and I know they're fine, but how many people do or even would?
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Rick.

I'm a fan of the Kennie decks...although I much prefer the KD-600.

Years ago I tried many arms on the 600, my favourite was the Victor 7045 whilst running an Ortofon MC, other arms included a Grace G-940, Grace G-704, and of course a trusty SME 3009 II Improved.

The 500 is appreciated in many vinyl circles, but speed control can be an issue which is overcome in the later 600.

Fun deck, in this case it would be limited by the arm available.

Oh, regarding the earlier "muddy" bass comment, I don't think that would apply to any of the Kennie TT's...if anything the low fequencies produced have on occasion been referred to as "too prominent", but I'd describe the bass as tight and refined.

Go for it...you have nothing to lose!
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

The Trio certainly looks to be a nice enough turntable

The point I was trying to make, though, was that it depends on what Shane's plans are. Sadly, he didn't give us much in the way of info....

If he was to pay £265 to own a decent vintage T/T, and simply enjoy it for what it was, then that would be fine. I can think of much worse ways of spending £265 on a turntable.

However, if he was buying the Kenwood/Trio with the intention of it forming the basis of an extensive modification project then, in my opinion, his £265 would be better spent on a T/T which lends itself more successfully to being modified, hence why I recommended him the Techy.

What I hate seeing is people pissing their money down the drain on projects which are unlikely to show them the sonic return they'd hoped for, and so end up going round in circles, chasing their tail and trying to achieve the impossible, and ending up in a whole world of disappointment and considerably worse off financially than when they started.

By all means buy 'off the wall' vintage T/Ts, if you like to be different, but buy them on the premise of simply enjoying them for what they are, and not wasting money on trying to turn them into something they'll never be....

If people want to embark on a risk-free T/T modification project, and not get their fingers burnt, then in my opinion they should stick to tried and tested solutions, and the best one without doubt (certainly as far as user support, servicing, and the quality and variety of ancillaries/'tweaks' available), is the Techy - it's as simple as that.

Anyway, Shane, I hope you end up with what you're looking for, matey!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rick.

Hey Marco...I hear'ya, but the Kennie does lend itself to some mods, and in many circles this table is held in very high esteem.

Here's a link to the KD-500...

http://www.dd-turntables.com/gallery1_19.html

I've toyed with DD's since the mid 70's, my favourites will always be the Micro's and the Lux DD's, but the Technics and Kennies have always held my attention as well.

I have had arm bases fabricated from varied hardwoods, stainless steel, different plastics, and very dense rubber for the KD-600...they all provided a subtly different sound, but it was always more hobby R&D then it was about anything else.

Years ago I replaced the bottom cardboard cover on a 600 with a machined slab of .75" stainless steel, I also had 3 cones fabbed from SS and fixed them to the new base...now that's adding some mass. The bass was unbelievable - that table is still floating around in Northern Ontario somewhere.

Here's a link to the KD-600 - a fine table.

http://www.dd-turntables.com/gallery1_8.html

Here's a 600 I sold a little more then a year ago...in the pic the original arm board is shown, but this gent received a stainless steel armboard from me for his SME.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/detai...ent_condition/

My strong opinion is that the Kennie's are great decks with no change, with very little investment and a good arm they become much more...and you would need to spend some serious cash to own a TT that will outperform one.

There's my babble for today!
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

Hi Rick,

Most interesting, and thanks for that - it's always nice to learn from other people's experiences, and you certainly know more than I do in this area

I certainly wouldn't dispute what you say, and the KD-500 does appear to have some nice qualities. However, what's the situation on availability of spare parts, should something critical go pop?

This is something which always concerns me with vintage D/D turntables, as personally I'd hate to become accustomed to the way a certain T/T presents music, and love it, only for it to become 'fatally broken', and thus be deprived of its unique way of music-making....

It's the widely available serviceability and user support network that, for me, is one of the main attractions of the SL-1200. I'm not technically minded in the slightest, so I *need* to have the peace of mind of knowing that if something goes wrong with my T/T, I can send it to an expert and all will be well.

I simply don't want to entertain the worry that one day my 'pride & joy', which gives me so much musical pleasure every day, could one day soon become an ornament.

It's also good being able to share ideas and tweaks with many others who own the same T/T, and thus be able to ask for their advice if I need it, hence the 'user support network' I referred to before. I'd hate to be out on a limb on my own, using a little known T/T, with no-one to turn to for help if something went wrong. That might not be important to some, but it is to me!

So what's the score with the Kenwood, in that respect?

The other thing that would also bother me, is how do you know for sure if a 30+ year old D/D turntable, with numerous electronic parts inside, is performing at 100% of its original sonic capability (capacitors, etc, would likely be long past their sell-by date) - because me being me, nothing less than 100% would do!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Rick.

Regarding the electronics on these Kennies...years ago you just didn't worry about that kind of stuff, but with age things have changed. Each time I purchase a vintage TT, including my Lux, I take them in and immediately have a Tech check them over. The last 3 tables, the Kenny in the link included, have had all caps and resistors changed (upgraded) just to be sure. The nice thing is that the electronics on these tables are not too elaborate, I think I paid $110 CDN to have the Kenny done.

To be honest, I have never heard of one of these tables failing, so they're obviously pretty robust. The bearing is of excellent quality, so things are good on that front.

When it comes to spare parts, on any given day, between sites like ebay and Audiogon, there are always a few of these tables floating about looking for new homes.

Again, for the price, they're just hard to beat, and they make great music. In fact, the table in the link posted earlier was preferred by a few folks who spent a little time listening to tunes in my home to a VERY expensive Avid deck...and the Avid deck had one of those fancy blue carts with Japanese letters all over it. The Kenny had the SME arm shown in the ad and an Ortofon 2M Blue mounted.

At the end of the day, if Shane is concerned with spare parts, perhaps another deck is in order...but if he's looking to get some fine tunes at little cost, then the Kenny is one of those TT's that will fit the bill.
    Rick.

Nice one, Rick - just the sort of info I (and I suspect, Shane) wanted to know

Trouble is, I guess you've just rocketed the second-hand price now of KD-500s!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Shane.

Thanks Rick.

And Marco, thanks for your advice too.

Regards.

You're welcome, bud. Let us know how you get on, and don't be afraid to ask any more questions if you need to

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast