+ Reply to Thread

Thread: My lights have gone off

I'm Mike.

Question My lights have gone off

Hi guys, i recently bought a Trio KA80 amp which works a treat apart from the lights behind the push buttons have stopped working, no big deal just take it apart and fix the problem, well the problem is i cant seem to be able to get the front panel off to get at the switches, i've looked all over for a service manual but with no joy, any suggestions would be most apreciated.

As the late Colonel Sanders once said
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken!!"

I'm Nobody.

With the cover off the facia should be screwed into the tin chassis each end, you might have to remove the control knobs to free the facia.

I'm Mike.

This model has a flip down metal facia, it comes off easy, then you have 3 recessed dials at one side and the volume at the other, they don't seem to come off though.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Have you tried pulling the knobs off? Make sure you set them to zero or centre detent! You may well find nuts underneath Mike
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm Mike.

yup i've tried pulling them off but they don't want to budge, and i don't want to exert too much force on them and break something.

I'm Dave.

It might be stating teh obvious but sometimes there is a little hex head grub screw holding the knobs in place. If not then a good strong pull witll get them off, you are not likely to damage anything.
    Dave.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac Hawk View Post
    This model has a flip down metal facia, it comes off easy, then you have 3 recessed dials at one side and the volume at the other, they don't seem to come off though.
    They will, the volume has a grub as mentioned by others will pull off to reveal all the pot fixing nuts holding the facia.It's down to those scrws i mentioned then.

Mike PM

I'm Mike.

Well thanks to Andre (he sent me the Service manual) i've got the front off but what a job, 1st off there was indeed a small grub screw holding the volume control on, that came off with a small alan key, after that things got bad the bass, treble and balance knobs wouldn't budge, i tried every way of pulling them off but nothing seemed to grip tight enough without damaging the plastic, i even looked at the schematics again just to make sure i wasn't missing something, but no they were meant to be pulled off, eventually i drilled a small hole in the bit of the knob you grab and turn and used a small piece of wire to eventually get them off, then i found out why they were on so tight, someone had used a spot of superglue on each knob how stupid can people get, anyway i have cleaned up the pots and ordered the bulbs needed for the bits that light up, so all i need to do now is repair the knobs i drilled holes in and put it back together, while it's apart though I'll give it a good going over, maybe replace the RCA connectors with gold equivalents and check the bias as well as replace the power cord, i would go further and replace the smoothing caps but this amp was bought for the "cheap as chips" challenge so i have to be careful what i spend

+ Reply to Thread