+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help identifying Chartwell speakers

I'm Dave.

Default Help identifying Chartwell speakers

Hi chaps, just got in a pair of very small Chartwell 2 way speakers. they are smaller than LS3/5a's, they are two way units in a sealed enclosure. Anybody got any ideas what model they may be? They sound rather good, they are in a teak finish with the original grilles. I can find tons of info on the 3/5's but not mush else.
    Any help much appreciated.
    Dave.

I'm ChrisB.

Have you got any photos of them Dave?

I'm paul.

The pm 55 is a small two way from Chartwell its a bit taller at 35.5cm but it may be a good starting point for another search.
    Paul

Thorens TD 124, Thorens 12" Arm refurbished by Alfred, Shure M55, Denon 103r ,whest PS30R , Auditorium A23 Sony XA20 ES, Benchmark DAC 1 HDR, Elite Townsens 600c Pre,
    DPA Enlightenment DAC, , , Radford STA 25 Series 3, Aurex ST S80 , Tannoy Monitor Golds 15" Tannoy York Enclosures, TEAC DS H01, Isotek Substation, Abbey Road Reference Speaker Cables
    and some other stuff

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Ask Mike O'Brian (O'Brian HiFi) if he remembers, as he *was* Swisstone Electronics, who took over Chartwell/Rogers.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Dave.

I wrote a couple of reviews on Chartwell speakers and have some info somewhere. A pic might help.

I'm Dave.

Here is a photo of said speakers. They are about 12 inches high, 7 1/2 wide and 6 1/2 deep. Lovely little speakers, they sound incredible on speech and classical. Just wish I knew what they were.... virtual beer to anybody that can advise.
    Dave.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Kef drivers by the look of it B110 & T27, could be some form of LS3/5A?

In fact i bet they are If you google them you'll find that a pair sold on ebay for £3000
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I can't expand the image (sonny-jim's downloading summat huge ), but they look suspiciously like LS3/5A's to me - recessed B110 and T27 with mesh cap. If you feel that inclined, carefully remove the baffle on one and check the crossover. If there's loads of components on a board up behind the tweeter, you'll know
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by greenhomeelectronics View Post
    Here is a photo of said speakers. They are about 12 inches high, 7 1/2 wide and 6 1/2 deep. Lovely little speakers, they sound incredible on speech and classical. Just wish I knew what they were.... virtual beer to anybody that can advise.
    Dave.
    Whats that black plaque say on it? the sizes you gave are deffo 'LS3/5a' diamensions. What gave you the impression they wee Chartwells Dave? if they are their should be a great wacking label on the back saying so, if not what colour are the backs? could possibly be Audiomasters (Pink speckled back)!

I'm Dave.

Ah, I think I see what has gone on. Thanks Reid Malenfant, those are almost exactly what I have. I say almost because the thing with mine is that some nutter has cut holes in the backs to fit replacement banana sockets, the bit they have cut out is where that black label would be. there is a small white label on the back of each unit with Chartwell's address on and a small label on the front that just says "Chartwell". I have taken one of the speaker post mounting plates off, they are definitely LS3/5A on the inside!!
    I guess the big question now is whether to sell them as they are or to replace the backs with new ones. Decisions decisions......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast