+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 7510 mods

I'm Will.

Default 7510 mods

Hi All, I'm sure this has been done to death elsewhere and prior to my joining, so apologies...

I recently acquired a TC-7510 Mk6/4 from Stan (and very nice it is too), and was wondering what 'simple' upgrades are available, the homehifi is under construction in this area.

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/others/7510mods.html

And a question for Stan, is the Gator board compatible with the 7510? The reason I ask is that on Gator fitting photos I can see the 7510 legend on the board it is being fitted to...if that makes sense

http://www.homehifi.co.uk/others/gatoraid.html
    Cheers, Will

I think the idea is that mods should be put in the DIY section of the forum .
    The Gator is not compatible with the TC-7510, unless you do a bit of modifications to the Gator PCB.

I'm Will.

Ah good point Stan....

Is there a friendly 'Mod' around that could move this thread to the DIY section, please
    Cheers, Will

I'm Will.

...thank you friendly Mod
    Cheers, Will

I'm OneOfTheSevenModsWhoToldMarcoNotToLiftHarry'sBan.

My pleasure.

ATB

David

I'm Will.

Cheers Snapper

Ok so now we're in the right section...

Anyone done any 'simple' mods to their TC-7510 MK6/4, and what was the biggest value improvement?...apart from the power supply, which I've already done.

Thanks for any input
    Cheers, Will

I have done some caps upgrade. In particular, replaced the caps from MOD21 with a couple of grey Rubycons as used in the Gator. The 10V regulator has been replaced with a 12V version so that I can use it with a Caiman or linear PSU.
    I am going to try a surface mount AD826 instead of the JRC4558 opamp.

I'm Will.

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    I have done some caps upgrade. In particular, replaced the caps from MOD21 with a couple of grey Rubycons as used in the Gator. The 10V regulator has been replaced with a 12V version so that I can use it with a Caiman or linear PSU.
    I am going to try a surface mount AD826 instead of the JRC4558 opamp.
    Hi Stan, might there be any 'idiot' guides available for these mods ?
    Cheers, Will

I'm Rob.

Will. I really liked the sound of the stock 7510. But then you start reading about the up-grades and think.....Mmmm this could be even better!

I got hit by the "it's got to be better" stick and set to work on my 7510. I made some new voltage regulators which are said to be much lower noise than the stock 7805/7810.
    Then I removed the op-amp and put in an adaptor to enable me to use DIL type op-amps. I then inserted a discrete GD op-amp. I also converted the variable phono outs to passive mod and messed around with various caps of various types and flavour.

Where is this leading to.................Well, the dac sounds pretty good.....how does it compare to the original.....errr.....what.....how the bloody hell can I remember!

You can get carried away with you own sense of "aren't I clever" in that you do all this yourself and so it must be better. Other people think so it must be true.

I would like to try an unmodded 7510 now to see if it was worth all the effort.

Links to stuff mentioned above :

Brown Dog Apapter to convert surface mount to DIL

BEWARE : These things are tiny and soldering them is only for the insane!

GD op-Amp fitted

Low Noise DIY Regulator (NB THE TRANSISTOR IS SHOWN THE WRONG WAY ROUND) The collector should be on the input.

Buy Bose...And get your parking validated!.

https://youtu.be/ZCBe7-6rw4M

No Highs...No Lows....It Must Be Bose!

I'm Will.

Rob thanks for an excellent reply...

That looks like it requires a skill level way over my ham fisted capabilities.

As you say the 7510 MK6/4 is excellent as it is, probably best to just sit down and enjoy it
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread