+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which New CD Player to Buy???

Default Which New CD Player to Buy???

Hi all
    Well thinking about a New CD player Price Range £300/£450 starting with the Nad C542?? Has anyone on here got some ideas for this price range?
    Ah but wait is it worth it at the moment I senses that the CD as we no it days are numbers what will it be HDCD Blue/Ray SACD??? Your advice is welcome on this which Player
    Cheers
    Colin
    The Blues Man

I'm InSpace.

Well!...

Just my twopenneth, I'm 'holding tight' at the moment. There seems to be several 'new' technologies which are very much in their infancy, so to speak. I expect many advances coming very rapidly in the near future!

I think I'll be sitting back for a while, and seeing what develops!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Keith.

Does your old player have digital 'out' if it does why not keep it and try a few different DACS, Lavry make the Da10 which is around your budget.

yep well advised mike i think
    The Blues Man

Quote Originally Posted by purite audio View Post
    Does your old player have digital 'out' if it does why not keep it and try a few different DACS, Lavry make the Da10 which is around your budget.
    Well yes modded marantz 52se plus the maranz 67 a dac may be a good way to go just thought the players i have are getting on a bit now
    The Blues Man

I'm InSpace.

Just my opinion (again), but I don't think I'm alone in this. I see physical digital media soon becoming very much a 'legacy format' but not in the way that CD was supposed to make vinyl become.

This time round I expect the upcoming digital 'formats' to move away from physical media (not necessarily a good thing in itself - time will tell) and becoming more and more 'software' based. Downloads etc. I DO expect these to become (in due course) significantly better that red book CD, which were not, and are not, 'better' than good analogue.

Will the 'future formats' be better than analogue?... Dunno, kind of doubt it. I said it earlier, but one day analogue will be re-invented, "ooh look, a system that records a whole note instead of umpteen little slices of it" !

Cheers...
    Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I'll delve into this subject in a bit more detail later, particularly with regard to (good) older players and DACs using TDA1541 chipsets which can be modified with new components to become something pretty special.

However, Colin, as far as new CDPs are concerned in your price range I'd recommend you look at models from Cambridge Audio and Rotel, both of which produce CDPs that punch well above their weight on the sound-per-pound stakes.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm InSpace.

Better than 'good' analogue though?

Nah!.... Pull the other one!

Shian7

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nothing is better than good analogue, mate!

The 'digital boys' can of course disagree, but we know we're right

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shian7 View Post

Will the 'future formats' be better than analogue?... Dunno, kind of doubt it. I said it earlier, but one day analogue will be re-invented, "ooh look, a system that records a whole note instead of umpteen little slices of it" !

Cheers...
    What about the individual particles on the magnetic tape ?
    Everything is digital, ultimately
    Hans

MBL 1531 -> Allnic L-4000 -> Audiolab 8000S used as power amp only -> Quad 2805. Cables: Transparent Ultra

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast