+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HDMI Cable

I'm Ron.

Question HDMI Cable

According to my Topfield PVR handbook I am supposed to get better results by using an HDMI connection from PVR to TV input (A Panasonic flat screen) instead of using the SCART connection. My scarts are of good quality and have served me well for a number of years. Anyway, whilst in ScrewFix getting DIY bits and pieces I noticed that they stocked a High Performance Flat HDMI Cable, brand name 'Labgear' www.labgear.co.uk for circa UKŁ12.00. Bought one (my first ever) and made the swap from Scart to HDMI. Must confess that picture quality was no better or worse so I'm assuming there is a bedding in or burn in period like that of audio interconnects? My question is whether more expensive HDMI cables are worth the money and if so what are the recommendations?

The print on the packaging informs the buyer that these are diecast steel connectors HDMI Ver. 1.3b Certified. Supports 1080p resolution.

Not looking forward to retuning everything thing around the house that is TV related before 30 March 2011. Taking FM out of existence will be an expensive nightmare for me

Thanks for your advice and experience

Ron

I'm Nobody.

I've removed all my HDMI's & fitted back my old QED P2110 SQART
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 21-03-2011 at 00:53.

I'm Ron.

Question HDMI v Scart

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    G'day Andre, thanks for the reply. This is an interesting one mate and I must say, purely from a visual aspect, the Scarts do look better and more substantial than HDMIs. What made you got back to Scarts?

I have noticed that the prices for both Scart and HDMIs can take you into big money territory, are they really worth it I think possibly not!

Cheers
    Ron

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    According to my Topfield PVR handbook I am supposed to get better results by using an HDMI connection from PVR to TV input (A Panasonic flat screen) instead of using the SCART connection. My scarts are of good quality and have served me well for a number of years. Anyway, whilst in ScrewFix getting DIY bits and pieces I noticed that they stocked a High Performance Flat HDMI Cable, brand name 'Labgear' www.labgear.co.uk for circa UKŁ12.00. Bought one (my first ever) and made the swap from Scart to HDMI. Must confess that picture quality was no better or worse so I'm assuming there is a bedding in or burn in period like that of audio interconnects? My question is whether more expensive HDMI cables are worth the money and if so what are the recommendations?

The print on the packaging informs the buyer that these are diecast steel connectors HDMI Ver. 1.3b Certified. Supports 1080p resolution.

Not looking forward to retuning everything thing around the house that is TV related before 30 March 2011. Taking FM out of existence will be an expensive nightmare for me

Thanks for your advice and experience

Ron
    Over short runs of say 1m it is not that easy to tell the difference between different hdmi cables as the signal degradation from the cable is very small. Once you get into longer runs it is probably better to invest in as good a quality cable as you can.I would say that you'd probably notic the picture quality changes more as the telly or projected image gets larger.
    If you are using a connection between 2 digital bits of kit such as a pvr and an lcd telly then it cuts out a bit of conversion by using a hdmi cable.

Have I just started another one of those boring cable wars?

I'm colin.

Makes a lot of sense.

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzBones View Post
    G'day Andre, thanks for the reply. This is an interesting one mate and I must say, purely from a visual aspect, the Scarts do look better and more substantial than HDMIs. What made you got back to Scarts?

I have noticed that the prices for both Scart and HDMIs can take you into big money territory, are they really worth it I think possibly not!
    Hi Ron
    I just feel the picture has more body to it..cheap tac SCARTs are another matter.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

There is a good bit of information missing here so i guess all replies will simply be a generalisation. For starters is the TV 1080P? If yes then how old is it & is it LCD or Plasma?

Are you getting as good a picture from the PVR as possible? In other words how good is the signal strength from the transmitter If your TV is modern you probably find that the de-interlacing & scaling is going to be vastly superior to the very same in the PVR as these tend to be cheap

It's quite possible that the reason you can't really tell the difference is because of the cheap & nasty processing in the PVR itself Also did you set the PVR to output the correct output to match your TV? Some boxes may well be able to do this automatically, others won't...

As you can see, there is a lot to take into consideration
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm David.

If I had a penny for every time some one on AV Forums posted...which is the best HDMI cable I would have retired years ago, its the same with all cables, if you are in a position to get a few to try (I can loan you 2 different ones no problem) then that is what I would suggest, try them all and see if you can spot any differences, if not go for the cheapest one, simples?

I actually got some off maplin for Ł2.50 each and they were spot on, I give them away with customer orders who spend over Ł100, at least I did until I ran out, some even contacted me to buy more!

I use Marky G's cables now as that was some time ago.

I'm InSpace.

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Ludite!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.