+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blown US voltage Technics 1200 - used without stepdown tranformer

I'm Chris.

Default Blown US voltage Technics 1200 - used without stepdown tranformer

Some years ago I was given a pair of US voltage Technics 1200s for party duties etc. Whilst I was away for work before Christmas some friends borrowed them, mislaid the US to UK voltage stepdown tranformer and tried to plug them durectly into the English mains....

The result is two blown turntables. Can anyone tell me whehter they can be repaired fairly easily? I'm no diy'er but I have some friends who could help me if I knew what needed to be done.

Thanks for any advice - at least they stayed away from my main system 1210, I hate to think what would've happened to the Lyra Dorian on it

I'm Greg.

Hi Chris,
    being optimistic, the first place to check would be the two fuses shown on the left in the link to Leo's photo of the 1210.

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8920

Regards
    Greg

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The electronic boards should still be available as spare parts for a while, as should the transformers if they're damaged.

Good luck, I hope it's the fuses
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Chris.

Greg and Dave

Thanks

I'll check the fuses first.....

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

I don't imagine the transformers are particularly special are they? Find out what the required secondary voltages are and buy a matching one from Farnell, RS etc.. Probably could have done that originally, swapping out the old 110V transformers for ones that took 240V to the same output voltages.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'm sure technics would have spares, but if not and the control boards are ok, then it's a perfect excuse to at least put the transformer in an external case.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread