+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: From Bastanis Prometheus to Atlas

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Clive at some point it be good to hear the difference between the two
    Assuming John you mean the Chrystals, for the first 200 hours for so they sound very "nice", certainly in isolation no one would complain about their sound. With more like 300 hours now I have loads more detail, extension, bass richness, presence and some better bass dynamics (has to be due to the upper bass). I'm not commenting on Bastanis bass drivers vs Augie, more on what the other drivers are doing higher up the spectrum.

There's a huge smile on my face! And I'm guessing there's more to come yet.

How's the deck btw?
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Digital Lindemann Bridge + Gustard R26 with LB external clock
    Pre and Power Amp EWA M40P + M40A
    Bass Amp & DSP Behringer iNuke NU3000DSP x 2
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side
    Speakers 2 MarkaudioSota Viotti Tower

I'm ILOB.

Long story Clive
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    As long as the tweeter + has a direct route (ie not via a voice coil!) to the + binding post it doesn't matter how you get there. Same for - to the - binding post.

The Proms in comparison to Altas sound rather clinical. Really glad they are working well!
    Hello Clive and thanks for your advice, much appreciated

This is what I thought was the problem. So I need to unsolder the Gemini tweeter wires and move the + and - to the first wideband driver, where there is a direct access to the speaker binding posts. Currently the signal is going through the first wideband driver and then to the Gemini Tweeter. I assume this is mixing the signal somehow .

I am sorry but I am hopeless when it comes to the electrics, give me a piece of timber and I will be happy, but there is something with the electrics that just doesn't work with my simple mind

I totally agree, the Gemini tweeter is overpowering with only one Bastanis wideband driver, but with two drivers in situ, something magical is appearing .
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Bastanis Mandala Atlas with 15" sealed woofers
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    So is the Bass driver open back looks like it in the picture if so have you noticed what is the bass response. For me this is where the Augee really win out over the Bastanis bass speakers true Dipole creates very clean musical bass, but be interesting if they actually work as true dipole bass

Hi John.

As Clive wrote, the low bass is coming from the sealed woofer cabinets. They are punchy in deed . I tried once driving them without the baffles with a pair of XTZ sub amps and very high volume levels: the impact made me physically sick. Saying that the interior door opposite the woofers was banging and the windows were shaking from the pressure waves as well .

I have to say that I would be more than happy to use the baffles on their own without the sealed woofers for occasional listening.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Garrard 401 in a solid birch plywood plinth / Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro / ESCo modified Denon DL-103
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Art Audio Diavolo and Conductor, Pair of XTZ Sub Amp 1's, Nick G 'Dual Phono' phono stage
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Analysis Plus: Big Silver Oval speaker cables and Silver Oval-in interconnects, Mark Grant DSP 2.5 Dual Screened power cables
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by selfaddict View Post
    This is what I thought was the problem. So I need to unsolder the Gemini tweeter wires and move the + and - to the first wideband driver, where there is a direct access to the speaker binding posts. Currently the signal is going through the first wideband driver and then to the Gemini Tweeter. I assume this is mixing the signal somehow .
    You can simply take the capacitor wire and Gemini -ve wire straight to the binding posts if you prefer.
    TT 1 Trans-Fi Salvation with magnetic bearing + Trans-Fi Terminator T3Pro + London Reference
    TT 2 Garrard 301 with NWA main bearing + Audiomods Series Six 10.5" + Ortofon 2M Mono SE
    Speakers 1 Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo with twin baffleless 15" bass drivers per side

I'm Juha.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    You can simply take the capacitor wire and Gemini -ve wire straight to the binding posts if you prefer.

Hi Clive.

This is the way how it is shown it the Bastanis web page as well. Only problem is that I do not have enough the same speaker wire that Robert has used with the widebands. Would you have any in stock? It is just that I would like to use the same wire as the wideband drivers have been wired with.
    My Gear

Source components:
    Pioneer TX-9800 tuner
    Amplification:
    Loudspeakers:
    Cables:
    Record cleaning
    Nitty Gritty 1.5Fi MK II

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by selfaddict View Post
    Hi Clive.

This is the way how it is shown it the Bastanis web page as well. Only problem is that I do not have enough the same speaker wire that Robert has used with the widebands. Would you have any in stock? It is just that I would like to use the same wire as the wideband drivers have been wired with.
    The wire is nice, I only have a few short pieces, nothing long enough for your ask. I drew the diagram for Rob that way for simplicity.

There's nothing wrong with taking the wires to the widebands. I have the capacitor going to the +ve on the top wideband and the -ve tweeter connection going to the -ve terminal on the lower wideband. These connections then go directly to the binding posts.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12