+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From Yaqin MC100B to Tube Distinctions Classic Series

Default From Yaqin MC100B to Tube Distinctions Classic Series

Not so conclusive on the Yaqin amp at Anthony's yesterday.... There was me liking it lots with Ella Fitzgerald but liking it less with Ray Lamontagne. It was simply too mellifluous and smooth although wide-open and well-separated in terms of imaging and instrumental separation. I can't fault its timing/phase coherence abilities in relative terms either. It simply lacked a little leading-edge attck and tunefulness for my liking.

I now believe that the Soulmate pre has its part to play in a little reticence above having plugged it into my own system. Whilst it works very well in Anthony's own setup, I've found it a little bloated and veiled in my own compared to the Spectral pre that I've now put back into my system. Anthony's Grounded Grid valve pre sees the lot off btw - that is a superb pre that does everything right musically. The Croft may sound a little more wide-open but the grounded grid one-box pre of Anthony's just gets on with pure musicality that little bit better imho, having more in the way of stop-start snappiness to it. Whilst its bass seems leaner and meaner, I've come to realise, especially after trying both the Soulmate and the Spectral since, that its bass is tight, dry and meaningful, fitting in much better with the rest of the frequency range. Both the solid state amps simply sound bloated and veiled in comparison.

Even before this, while at Anthony's and using the Soulmate, I was convinced that Ian would be very happy indeed with the Yaqin after Anthony has improved it beyond recoginition as it is certainly a class performer. My only concern was that it sounded a little too polite in terms of dynamics althouth the separation, timing, coherence and soundstaging were clearly in the Big League.

Perhaps with the Croft or the Grounded Grid it may yet prove to be a class act to compete with the very best out there regardless of the cost.

A comparison with the Puresound AOS of mine may prove to be interesting indeed in a given chosen setup.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Even before this, while at Anthony's and using the Soulmate, I was convinced that Ian would be very happy indeed with the Yaqin after Anthony has improved it beyond recoginition as it is certainly a class performer. My only concern was that it sounded a little too polite in terms of dynamics althouth the separation, timing, coherence and soundstaging were clearly in the Big League.
    LOL. What you didn't know before you wrote this is that as soon as you left Anthony put the amp back on the bench and re-voiced it to sound as it did before Ian told him he thought your amp sounded too forward!

After speaking to Ian and hearing what he thought of your amp Anthony thought that the Yaqin might sound too 'upfront' for Ian so he made it sound smoother, hence your comments above. It is now back to normal, and from speaking to Anthony last night at length, sounding better than ever

We're going down on Thursday to pick up Ian's amp and taking his Croft with us, so the results should be very interesting... On the way back up we'll pop by mine and I will get an opportunity to hear the amp in my system for the first time. I'll let you know what I think!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm BigBobJoylove.

Default From Yaqin MC100B to Tube Distinctions Classic Series

Ben Duncan mains conditioner
    2022 MacBook Pro 14" M1 Pro 10/16/16/16
    Samsung QE75Q90T 75" QLED TV
    XMOS DSD Async USB to Coax converter
    RME Audio ADI-2 FS (AK4493) DAC
    Chord Clearway XLR interconnects
    Audioquest Crimson USB interconnect
    QED Quartz Reference optical interconnect
    Edifier S3000 Pro active speakers
    Atacama SE24 stands

Hi Rob,

Thanks for that, but Steve's already posted the pic in the Gallery under a separate thread

Yours is a better picture, though (as usual)!

I'll move Steve's comments about the Yaqin on the Chesterfest thread to here and keep your picture and the thread relevant.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Whats a Yaqin?.

It's a chinese valve amp. Apparently very good, when suitably modified.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

I think you've missed the Irony there, Kevin

Ian owns the amp in the picture above, which was once a Yaqin, and is now, erm, just a 'tad' better than that

Basically, there's very little of the Yaqin left apart from the chassis!

I had the pleasure of listening to this amp yesterday in three different systems and it is stunningly good - several leagues better than my own Yaqin, but mine will shortly be modified just like Ian's.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm on Nightshift this week. So brain is only working sporadically.
    "Always carry a large flagon of whisky, in case of snake bite and, furthermore, always carry a small snake."

Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Toy View Post
    Not so conclusive on the Yaqin amp at Anthony's yesterday.... There was me liking it lots with Ella Fitzgerald but liking it less with Ray Lamontagne. It was simply too mellifluous and smooth although wide-open and well-separated in terms of imaging and instrumental separation. I can't fault its timing/phase coherence abilities in relative terms either. It simply lacked a little leading-edge attck and tunefulness for my liking.
    Steve, since Anthony re-voicing the amp (lowering feedback) these comments are now rendered totally obsolete!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

It's a chinese valve amp. Apparently very good, when suitably modified.
    Doh there was me thinkin it was Chinese forum for laughs..Yakk in

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast