+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: F.A.O Rob Holt - Techincs comments on PFM

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Exclamation F.A.O Rob Holt - Techincs comments on PFM

Hi Rob,

I hope you don't mind me quoting you from PFM but your comments below are so far removed from reality that I had to comment in the interests of accuracy. I normally agree with much of what you have to say about hi-fi but I'm afraid this beggars belief!

You wrote on PFM:

Never heard a 1210 but I have heard the sister models (inc the 1700) back in the day and the idea that these things could be considered alongside a decent LP12 is quite funny.
    The best (read very expensive) DDs are great but these middling units were no match for a Planar 3 let alone an LP12.
    I can't see that the passing of 20 years would change that.

This 'lets all buy a Technics' thing is a phase (just like the current fad for cheap valve amps) and I predict a short lived one. Folk will hopefully come to their senses in a few years and the Regas, NAs, LP12s will be back on the racks.
    I'm sorry but this is complete and utter nonsense. First of all, in stock form an SL-1210 murders a P3 in any sonic parameter you care to mention. The Rega is a toy in comparison - I know because I've owned and used both, including many other Regas.

The Regas are good decks for the money (the budget ones) but quite frankly there is no comparison between any Rega deck and an SL-1210, certainly in terms of engineering quality, and ultimately this impacts on performance. The only thing that holds back a stock 1210 is the quality of ancillaries used such as the tonearm wiring, but to compare the superbly accurate direct-drive motor unit in the 1210 with the flimsy 'rubber band' driven plastic motor unit on a P3 is quite ridiculous.

Low-mass belt drives are ok up to a point but their speed stability issues are showcased in all their 'glory' by something like a 1210, and once, say, fully KAB modified as my deck is, the difference between the performance it offers and even an LP12 or a Spacedeck is pretty huge. I can go into detail about this if you wish as I've owned and used many LP12s through the years and I am obviously very familiar with the 1210.

But what takes the biscuit, Rob, and I've very surprised at you, is you state that you haven't even heard a 1210, so how on earth can you compare it to the decks you mention?

Furthermore I can assure you that my purchase of a KAB-modified 1210 has absolutely nothing to do with "emperors new clothes" (I'm sure other 1210 owners would agree) - it was quite simply because the deck thus modified is fundamentally superior to *any* other T/T I've heard apart from a well mounted SP10, and even then, based on my experience at the Chesterfest at the weekend with Nick (Lurcher's) SP10 in a Slatedeck plinth, the differences are minimal and probably down to personal preference more than any inherent superiority of either deck...

This was the consensus of opinion of the people present in the room at the time, including Nick. The KAB 1210 certainly raised quite a few eyebrows!

Yep, that's how good it is. But you wouldn't know that because you haven't heard one of those either

I think your comments above are written through 'Rega green' coloured spectacles and are a disservice to the otherwise normally accurate information which one reads from you on PFM. As such I would ask you to link to this discussion on PFM to provide some balance for the membership reading and the OP who is seeking experienced and unbiased advice which I'm sorry I don't think your comments above represent.

For those interested the thread can be read in its entirety here:

http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52109

I look forward to reading your reply in due course.

Regards,
    Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

My TT knowledge is extremely limited as I've never really owned one although I have heard a wide variety

Anyway I have heard a Rega P3 which had various mods directly against a modded SL-1210
    I've no idea of the cartridges used but the phono stage was a GSP Revelation

To my ears the SL-1210 slaughtered the P3! funny thing is I found the P3 to sound more like a CDP, it was brighter than the SL-1210 , the P3 just didn't sound real to my ears, disdn't give me that impression of being there

Its very rare for me to get into TT debates because as mentioned above I don't know enough about them but just thought I'd stick a quick reply as I have heard both of these TT's in the same system

I've heard plenty of LP12's, not my cup of tea TBH

I'm Peter.

Marco,

Aren't you in contradiction to your own rules here ?

I fully understand your ire, tho!

cheers
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.