+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you light your viewing room?

I'm colin.

Default How do you light your viewing room?

One negative about my new bravia sreen compared to my old Philips is the fact it has a glossy screen as opposed to the matt one im used to.
    This raises issues with lighting. The hallogen spots at the back of my rom show up on the screen.
    With the lights of and the tv back light put to minimum i get the best impact but i find it a strain on the eyes.
    I once thought about getting a new philips tv with ambi light but wasnt sure if it was for me.
    Id like to hear what everybody else does with there cinema rooms.

MartinT Guest

I have one uplighter at the rear-right of the room, which gives plenty of ambient light and no reflections on the screen of my Panasonic plasma TV mounted on the wall in front of me. You can also buy really nice LED uplighters which you can scatter as appropriate, again producing only indirect light from the ceiling. This kind of mood lighting looks good and keeps the overall brightness of the room subdued.

I'm colin.

Thats given me an idea. Philips do this angled spherical led lamp for 40 quid called living colour. Using it behind the set might give me a similar effect of their ambilight technology.

I'm Dave.

As I'm going through my retro phase at present I was after one of those 1940s wooden standard lamps like our grandparents had.

I found one on eBay for £20 (some command a lot more) and it now stand on my wooden floor looking all regal and well... retro.

It only illuminates from the top and bottom and sporting a mere 40w bulb gives off just the desired amount of light.

I too have a bravia and no light is seen on the screen.
    In - Tweaked Lenco GL75, Linn Ittok, Ortofon Cadenza Black
    Through - Croft Micro 25 RS LS, power R monoblocks, RIAA R. Ortofon ST-80 SE SUT.
    Along - Tellurium Q Ultra Black cables
    Out - Harbeth SHL5 Plus XD's

Street photography

Dave

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

You might like to read this Colin

As it is at the moment i have a couple of table lamps, one on each front speaker with 15W CFLs in. If i'm going to seriously watch something they'll go off & the ambilight on the TV is on if watching the TV. If the projector is on i'll plug in a small table lamp near my seat for when i have to move about just so i can see where i'm going
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm colin.

Whoa, missed that thread. Makes me wish i had bought a philips
    One big reason to buy the bravia was syncing with the playstation and it doesnt even do that

Ok mark ta. I will read it over a few times until it sinks in. Any recomended site that sell these lights ?

Quote Originally Posted by colinB View Post
    Ok mark ta. I will read it over a few times until it sinks in. Any recomended site that sell these lights ?
    Look on fleabay for 6500K tubes, 15W will be plenty Here is one example, select what you want (6500K 863)
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

Oh. I was looking at tubes. So stick one in a lamp holder and wack it behind the tv?

Yep, right behind & up against the back centre of the TV itself. I reckon the 11W one might do you, 20W will be too bright
    Bests, Mark

I'm colin.

Thanks Mark. Just ordered a lamp and bulb.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast