PDA

View Full Version : New owner of a pair of royd minstrel speakers

dantheman91
24-02-2011, 22:53
Hi

Just bagged these bueties for £40 what a bargin they are in fantastic condition i haven't tried them with the Quads yet but looking forword to it:lol:

Dan

Alex_UK
24-02-2011, 22:57
Nice one Dan - were they the pair on ebay that had a driver not working? If not, then you seriously did get a bargain! (£100 + for a set in good condition.) Be interested in your thoughts - I'm currently absorbing all the information I can on speakers (nothing to do with my "cheap as chips challenge" - I promise! :eyebrows:)

dantheman91
25-02-2011, 08:19
Hi Alex

Nope all driver working fine no probs i know there a bargin because i bought them off my dad.

Dan

Alex_UK
25-02-2011, 12:21
You big meanie, ripping off your own Dad! ;)

Enjoy! Let us know what you think of them when you get them up and running.

Rare Bird
25-02-2011, 12:22
Just bagged these bueties for £40 what a bargin they are in fantastic condition i haven't tried them with the Quads yet but looking forword to it:lol:

Nice one Dan, Royds were good sounding speakers..

dantheman91
25-02-2011, 12:33
You big meanie, ripping off your own Dad! ;)

Enjoy! Let us know what you think of them when you get them up and running.

Hi

no he's fine me buying them he's in the market for some tannoys eaither lancaster / cheviots. i already love the royd's and there only 30 watts but yet there quite powerfull with there sound. but the rogers are staying put.

Dan

dantheman91
25-02-2011, 12:35
Nice one Dan, Royds were good sounding speakers..

Hi

i love them anyway i need to downsize because now i cant you my rogers to the level i want it fucking neighbours any the royd suite me just fine.

dantheman91
21-03-2011, 06:53
My dad now has a nice pair of tannoy berkleys picked them up for £150 shame they need new foams:steam:

Dan

DSJR
21-03-2011, 16:54
Get the Barkeleys redone by Lockwoods... They'll cost a bit but will sound better than when new. Also, selling them on you'll get far more than £150 plus repair/update for them ;)

Andr'e, not all Royds were good speakers, but the Minstrel was far better mannered and within its limited volume range, extremely likeable I found.

dantheman91
21-03-2011, 17:02
My local engineer can re cone the pair for £200 what a bargin cant wait to hear these bad boys i know these are keepers :cool: i dont think he will sell me these:lol:.

DSJR
21-03-2011, 21:49
Dan, Lockwoods replace the cones, AND coils with better modern ones as an assembly. This increses power handling and if you ask them nicely enough, I understand they can do the corrugated surrounds as fitted to current and earlier drivers.

Replacing the foam surrounds will certainly get the Berkeleys going again, so good luck..

Reid Malenfant
21-03-2011, 22:02
Dan, Lockwoods replace the cones, AND coils with better modern ones as an assembly. This increses power handling and if you ask them nicely enough, I understand they can do the corrugated surrounds as fitted to current and earlier drivers.
Sorry Dave, but has anyone considered how this will affect the performance of the driver in whatever standard enclosure is supplied?

It might sound like a good idea but driver/cabinet interactions are not to be sniffed at. Unless the driver has exactly the same total Q (QTS), the same resonance frequency (FS) & compliance equivalent volume (VAS) it simply won't be the same thing :eyebrows:

Not only that but i fail to understand how they can have a new voicecoil with higher power handling without increasing the wire diameter :scratch: If they do that then the total wire length will need to increase to keep the same impedance! To keep the clearance in the magnetic gap the voicecoil will need to be longer & because of this the driver QTS will increase as less of the coil will be inside of the magnetic gap ;)

DSJR
21-03-2011, 22:11
Mark, better to look on the Lockwood site for most answers.

I can tell you that the coil-former material has been upgraded (?) to aluminium, which apparently aids heat dissipation at high input levels. The heavy girdacoustic cone and foam surround altered the bass performance of the cones but the cabs were still a bit too small and what was left was a sort of powerful mid bass thump. The Ardens were better in bass quality I remember yet still smaller than Marco's - about half the cabinel depth.

I readily accept your argument regarding the characteristics of the drivers being changed by altering the surrounds, but so much has gone on with Tannoy's driver research since 1975, you may find that this is an improvement ;)

Reid Malenfant
21-03-2011, 22:17
I readily accept your argument regarding the characteristics of the drivers being changed by altering the surrounds, but so much has gone on with Tannoy's driver research since 1975, you may find that this is an improvement ;)
Yes, i can imagine some of it is in reality :eyebrows: Some of the Tannoy driver parameters are frankly bloody shocking, so i can see there could be room for improvement.

As i say though, it depends on enclosure interaction & Lockwood would need to know the precise enclosure that the intended drivers would be fitted in to improve on things. Knowing that i'm sure they could get better performance out of certain drivers in certain enclosures as long as they know what they'll be fitted into ;)

Rare Bird
12-04-2011, 10:44
Andr'e, not all Royds were good

especially hemmaroids, they did however always keep me on the edge of my seat :eyebrows:

DSJR
12-04-2011, 11:25
especially hemmaroyds, they did however always keep me on the edge of my seat :eyebrows:

Ooooh you tease you :D

I would live with Minstrels, but SSSSSSSSSSSSSSinta's would take my fillings out (as if I need some spiteful speakers to do this for me).

Alex_UK
12-04-2011, 19:05
Gromit's Merlins were superb at Scalford I thought.