PDA

View Full Version : The second AOS power amp is born!

Steve Toy
20-08-2008, 10:02
Have a look at this. I think it looks rather nice, certainly an improvement on the original. Well done Anthony!

I bet it'll sound amazing too.

Ian, your patience is about to pay off and Marco, you're next....

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5461/aos2nr6.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Mike
20-08-2008, 10:19
Looks very interesting.... more info please?

Is the Artex optional? :lolsign:

Marco
20-08-2008, 12:34
What information do you want, daddy?

It's Ian Walker's TD-modified Yaqin, the same as mine will become, which is gonna kick some serious ass... :eyebrows:

Marco.

Mike
20-08-2008, 12:41
which is gonna kick some serious ass... :eyebrows:

Only yer own daft lad!.... HeHe.. :lolsign:

Marco
20-08-2008, 12:48
<Snigger> Aye!

You'll notice all the preamp circuitry has been removed, so it's now a dedicated power amp. It's also had new high quality caps fitted, upgraded mains and output transformers, and has been made into a full Class A ultralinear 30w design.

Other things have been done regarding feedback, etc, but Anthony will need to tell you about that.

If it sounds anything like Steve's amp it'll be another giant-killer! :fingers:

Marco.

Ali Tait
20-08-2008, 18:00
What are the output trannies Marco?

Marco
20-08-2008, 18:26
Hi Ali,

Not sure, mate. Anthony will know. If he doesn't pop along I'll ask him :)

Marco.

anthonyTD
20-08-2008, 19:22
Hi Ali,

Not sure, mate. Anthony will know. If he doesn't pop along I'll ask him :)

Marco.
hi ali,
the output transformers are a chinese upgrade over the standard ones used, the main diffrence being the use of high quality silicone steel.
anthony...:)

anthonyTD
20-08-2008, 19:27
<Snigger> Aye!

You'll notice all the preamp circuitry has been removed, so it's now a dedicated power amp. It's also had new high quality caps fitted, upgraded mains and output transformers, and has been made into a full Class A ultralinear 30w design.

Other things have been done regarding feedback, etc, but Anthony will need to tell you about that.

If it sounds anything like Steve's amp it'll be another giant-killer! :fingers:

Marco.
the amp is now fully diferential, with all the driver stages directly coupled... also the circuit now uses the least amount of feedback.

Marco
20-08-2008, 19:35
the output transformers are a chinese upgrade over the standard ones used, the main diffrence being the use of high quality silicone steel.

Anthony, what about the mains transformers - which ones did you use? :)

Marco.

Ian Walker
20-08-2008, 21:31
Ian, your patience is about to pay off.

I'm just off t'empty me pishcatchers:lol::lol::lol::lol:

anthonyTD
21-08-2008, 09:18
Anthony, what about the mains transformers - which ones did you use? :)

Marco.
the mains transformers were made to my specifications here in the uk by majestic transformer co.
anthony...

Marco
21-08-2008, 09:22
Ah, nice one mate. So you preferred those to Sowter?

Marco.

anthonyTD
21-08-2008, 09:39
Ah, nice one mate. So you preferred those to Sowter?

Marco.
hi marco,
no prefrence between the two, their both pretty good at what they do, and i have used both companies for diffrent projects over the years, in this case it was the waiting time that swung it.

Marco
21-08-2008, 09:56
No worries. I think when I get mine done I'd like mains and output transformers from the same manufacturer - Sowter or Majestic, it doesn't matter :)

Marco.

anthonyTD
21-08-2008, 11:31
No worries. I think when I get mine done I'd like mains and output transformers from the same manufacturer - Sowter or Majestic, it doesn't matter :)

Marco.
hi marco,
unfortunetly thats not always posible as it would depend on the types needed for a paticular aplication,ie, some manufacturers do things i prefer one way, some another.
anthony...

Marco
21-08-2008, 19:48
I see. We'll discuss it then when the times comes :)

Marco.

anthonyTD
22-08-2008, 10:22
I see. We'll discuss it then when the times comes :)

Marco.
okey dokey...
A...:)