PDA

View Full Version : DVD Ripper

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 16:33
Are there any recommendations for ripping DVDs to my hard drive?
I am slowly creating an HTPC system.:)

Jac Hawk
12-02-2011, 16:38
Are there any recommendations for ripping DVDs to my hard drive?
I am slowly creating an HTPC system.:)

Hmmm i was under the impression that DVD's were encoded to stop you copying them, i could be wrong as i've never ripped one.

The Vinyl Adventure
12-02-2011, 16:38
I just downloaded a free thing called handbrake
http://handbrake.fr/
Seems to work ...

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 16:56
Hmmm i was under the impression that DVD's were encoded to stop you copying them, i could be wrong as i've never ripped one.
They are, but i know of a few programs that will get round any encryption :eyebrows:

Stratmangler
12-02-2011, 17:10
Ripit4me works pretty well.

keiths
12-02-2011, 17:22
I've always used dvdshrink.

Fi-Wi
12-02-2011, 17:25
Standard software for DVD ripping is DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/).

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 17:46
I've always used dvdshrink.

Standard software for DVD ripping is DVD Decrypter (http://www.dvddecrypter.org.uk/).
Yep, those 2 & DVD43

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 18:53
Thanks chaps. :)

**scurries off to google**

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 19:05
Actually i'm not 100% sure that those programs will be helpful Andy, they are superb at doing the do & then transfering to a DVD but on your HDD you'll find DVDdecrypter stores the file as an ISO & i haven't found any program that will play that back, maybe i haven't looked hard enough though :D

DVD Shrink can output either ISO or Vob files, so if you can find something to play them back you can store DVDs on your HDD like you would music files & play them back ;)

It's not something i have investigated as having well over 1000 DVDs would mean i'd need to find about 8Tb of disc space :eek:

Beechwoods
12-02-2011, 19:15
ISO files are just disc image files. On a Mac at least you can mount these just like any real disc... and they look like discs to the OS so you can play them with DVD player, or whatever your favourite player is. I'm sure ISO files can be loaded as discs in Windows... you may need a third party bit of software to do it though.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 19:18
<snip> you may need a third party bit of software to do it though.
Cheers for the reply Nick, that's interesting ;)

Beechwoods
12-02-2011, 19:21
Mounting ISO files in Windows (http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mount+iso+file+windows)

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 19:26
Ok, nice one Nick :)

In that case i'd seriously recommend DVD Shrink V3.2 Andy. You can re-author discs & spit out what you want to an ISO ;) When you re-author you can get rid of subtitles, alternative languages, extras, menu etc & just keep the film itself. If you are seriously thinking of doing this i'd suggest it's the way to go as it'll save you space :eyebrows:

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 19:35
Interesting. There must obviously be some way of doing this, as its how hotel systems work. If possible, I would like my film library to be electronic. This would also save a bunch of space.

I did try dvdshrink, but got a message saying it wouldnt rip protected discs.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 19:38
Ah yes, you need DeCSS if i remember right (get round the Content Scramble System) :scratch: I have the whole bunch installed on here but it's ages since i have used it tbh...

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 19:45
Seem like I missed out a few posts.

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 19:45
DVD shrink is currently ripping an ISO image.

Jac Hawk
12-02-2011, 19:48
As long as its a vob file, you can use VLC Media player, just open the video file "videots" i think it's called and play the 1st file. the problem is that unless you have a very large HDD you will need to get rid of the stuff on the disk that you don't need, things like foreign languages, subtitles etc so it's not as easy as just ripping a CD, other wise your Hard Drive is going to be filled in no time, alternativley you could compress the files but you will definately loose picture and sound quality.

Jac Hawk
12-02-2011, 19:50
DVD shrink is currently ripping an ISO image.
to play it from your pc you will need to unpack the iso file, use winzip if you have it and use the 1 click unzip feature.

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 19:51
I am dumping all the "stuff" to just leave the bare bones movie, as its all I want.
I will eventually have a small 2TB NAS box for storage.

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 20:06
Might try re-ripping as a vob file.

Beechwoods
12-02-2011, 20:13
The VOB file will be inside the the ISO file...

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 20:18
Ahh..................... :)

Never mind. I now have 4 vob files?? They all seem to have the same movie on them, but asre only about 1.1GB in size. They do however play with WMP.

Reid Malenfant
12-02-2011, 20:21
Yep, DVD Shrink outputs Vob files at about that size, it breaks up the original but when burning to a DVD it re-integrates them ;) Not much use for you Andy i think...

That's one reason i always set it to output ISO files as they are in one bit :)

Techno Commander
12-02-2011, 20:35
YAY!!!. The ISO file plays with VLC player.

Jac Hawk
13-02-2011, 11:52
YAY!!!. The ISO file plays with VLC player.
Happy Days then :)

steve dixon
01-05-2013, 09:44
if your using a mac computer, mac the ripper works a treat and will play using the apple dvd player software no probs.
so i'm told :eyebrows:

morris_minor
01-05-2013, 14:45
I've had good results with Mac The Ripper, but increasingly discs won't rip as the copy protection obviously gets beefed up.

A nice surprise was that the Cambridge Audio Blu-ray player I bought fairly recently picks up VOBs from the server and plays 'em back. I got it for SACD and DVD-A (and video of course), but this was a bonus.

lovejoy
03-05-2013, 12:46
The best DVD ripper I've used and still use is MakeMKV. I used to use things like FairUse, DVDDecryptor, Handbrake etc. back in the days when storage space was at a premium and I'd compress everything into a single H.264 file getting my DVDs down to about 2GB in size.

These days I don't bother with any compression which saves on time and losses in picture and/or sound quality and MakeMKV is great for this as it will rip your DVD - You choose which bits you want i.e. directors commentaries, subtitles etc. then click go. It'll strip any protection, rip the disc to your drive and wrap it all up in one single .mkv file which is still the original MPEG2 DVD files, so no transcoding or loss in quality (or time spent compressing) and the vast majority of players will handle MKV these days. My Raspberry Pi plays these with no problems. My LG BluRay player will play them off a USB stick and any software player should have no problems.

Available for both Mac and Windows

pjdowns
12-05-2013, 00:50
Hi all,

I use Handbrake and find that it works for 99% of DVD although you need to install VLC too.

Found a neat trick recently where you play the movie in you DVD player, find out what title the film is located on and then using Handbrake, specifically chose that title from the source (DVD), this takes the ability of Handbrake from 70% successfully at ripping to the 99% I stated earlier.

Also, I use an Apple TV 3 and there are presets available on Handbrake for this :)

P.