PDA

View Full Version : 1210 looses output to right speaker

Wakefield Turntables
07-02-2011, 20:44
Just been listening to my speakers over last 2 days and noticed that after about 15 minutes the right speaker stops working but this only happens when listening with the turntable.I've deduced that its not the phonostage as this happens with two different phonostages and it happens to them and at roughly the same time. It's not interconnects as i've tried two different pairs on CD and casette and they work ok. Its not the speakers as i've switched them on and off several times and listened with several hours with out them cutting out and I've listened to my CD and casette. The only thing I can think is that the cartridge is buggered or the tonearm cable. Any ideas :scratch::scratch:

MartinT
07-02-2011, 23:51
What about the headshell connection? Try removing the rubber washer and re-couple.

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2011, 16:12
What about the headshell connection? Try removing the rubber washer and re-couple.

Thats a bit difficult, I have a SME V connected and I looked at the tonearm cabling and it looks fine. I can swap the interconnects for a few minutes, it works then right speaker out fails, everytime :steam:

Reid Malenfant
08-02-2011, 16:16
That's the weirdest thing i have ever heard :scratch: Any chance you can change the cartridge & try it out then? If so it'd narrow it down to what's causing the problem ;)

Stratmangler
08-02-2011, 16:30
I'd check the arm cabling for continuity throughout the sweep of the tonearm.
It sounds like there's some fault with the internal arm wiring, at the horizontal axis bearing.

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2011, 16:43
I have a spare very old knackered MM cartridge, I dont even know who made it :lol: but if this works then it must be the cartridge. I'm listening to the levellers at the moment on CD (spit splutter!!), I'm getting vinyl withdrawl! I'll have a little play later, hopefully! We are entertaining tonight so might not be able to give you guys any feedback until later tomorrow night but thanks for spending time replying to my thread :)

Alex_UK
08-02-2011, 17:23
I'd check the arm cabling for continuity throughout the sweep of the tonearm.
It sounds like there's some fault with the internal arm wiring, at the horizontal axis bearing.

I wondered that, or if a cartridge tag was maybe shorting out toward side end. If it is happening after 15 minutes, the only other totally non-technical person's thoughts (i.e. me!) is that it has to be something thermal, where it warming up enough somewhere/something to create the problem? Try another cartridge first I reckon.

MartinT
08-02-2011, 17:32
I'd agree. You can measure the right/left coil resistance of the suspect cartridge with a DVM to see if they're the same.

Barry
08-02-2011, 17:32
To check if it really is a problem with the internal wiring of the arm, play the last track on one side of an LP. No need to wait 15 minutes. Most LPs have a playing time of about 20 min a side.

If the problem occurs straight away then it would seem to lay with the arm. If not, then the problem lies elsewhere and might be thermal as Alex has suggested.

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2011, 19:00
Guys,

Again, thanks for all your help. I'm not going to have much time to strip the 1210 down until Friday so I'll update you all then, until then its CD's only :(

Wakefield Turntables
09-02-2011, 21:28
OK,

just dismantled the deck and mounted the old technoarm, dismantled the SME V and the TYR tonearm cable, cleaned the tip of the ATOCII. Got rid of the Mike New platter and placed the old platter back on and surprise it now works. So I think the problem is either the tonearm cabling or the tonearm itself. I'm going to send the V off to Audio Origami for a full rewire/service etc etc. I may just rebuild the TT again just to see if any of the cables were loose etc etc. will be doing this on Friday, so I'll keep you all informed.